Should I seek professional help outside of my state?

wahlecia

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
I live in New Mexico, and am currently wanting to speak to a lawyer about multiple scenarios that have occurred within less than 2 years. Most are focused on discrimination, state worker negligence, police misconduct, and rental properties. I do not have parents, any community support so it has made this process quite difficult. I previously was diagnosed with CPTSD, but my PTSD symptoms have only worsened, and I was physically effected, so I was unable to seek help with full confidence. Currently am 25, female- living with my ex due to the toxic environments that were allowed. I have an interest in leaving this state, as the abuse has been quite severe.

I'm mainly concerned with the privacy of these cases, and whether or not I should speak to a lawyer in New Mexico. I am not confident in our law system, nor authority as it is quite corrupt. I have not been able to find help from most state workers who were supposed to have helped. There is a lot of violence, coercion, threatening behaviors. I am basing this off these experiences, as well as my daily experiences interacting with this community. I do not know if I could find a lawyer that is neutral. Since I do not have family, or communal connection, I am more paranoid. I must defend myself more, since I am more vulnerable.

If it will make you feel better to talk to attorneys outside of New Mexico, by all means do so. However, since any action will have to be taken in New Mexico, the lawyer you choose in California or Arizona or Nevada will have to be licensed in New Mexico as well. This is not necessarily a problem as New Mexico has a process for reciprocity in other states. But if you choose an attorney in, say, Arizona, that Arizona attorney must be licensed or have reciprocal permission to file any applicable lawsuits in New Mexico, not just Arizona.

However, an attorney in New Mexico is bound by law to keep what you tell him confidential.

[

If it will make you feel better to talk to attorneys outside of New Mexico, by all means do so. However, since any action will have to be taken in New Mexico, the lawyer you choose in California or Arizona or Nevada will have to be licensed in New Mexico as well. This is not necessarily a problem as New Mexico has a process for reciprocity in other states. But if you choose an attorney in, say, Arizona, that Arizona attorney must be licensed or have reciprocal permission to file any applicable lawsuits in New Mexico, not just Arizona.

However, an attorney in New Mexico is bound by law to keep what you tell him confidential.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I likely would choose a lawyer that accepts contingency fees as these circumstances have caused financial stress.

How much extra do lawyers charge for travel fees, at least based on average cost and how does that work?

Do they travel and stay in a hotel, or could this also be done through video call?

Thanks again.

I likely would choose a lawyer that accepts contingency fees as these circumstances have caused financial stress.

This is only possible if the lawyer is pretty sure that they'll be paid.

Note 1: You need a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in your state.
Note 2: Look up what is meant be "Attorney/Client Privilege".

How much extra do lawyers charge for travel fees, at least based on average cost and how does that work?

Do they travel and stay in a hotel, or could this also be done through video call?

These are issues worth asking about with any lawyer that you are thinking of retaining before signing anything.

I likely would choose a lawyer that accepts contingency fees

Sorry to rain on your parade but the chances of any attorney working on your issues via a contingency arrangement are close to zero.

Whatever they charge, they will want a large retainer up front. Based on the variety of issues you wrote about, a retainer is likely to be in the area of $5000 to $10,000. Litigating those issues is likely going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

Back