Attorneys fees in DVPO case

hawesjo1990

Jurisdiction
Washington
My wife and I were taking care of her Grand Niece, a 3yo girl. We had every form of written documentation required to get her from Washington to Texas, including keeping CPS, her mother, and San Antonio PD involved and aware that we had her and she was safe.

Long story short, her mother is mentally ill and filed a DVPO against my wife claiming that we kidnapped her daughter and somehow got her halfway across the country without her knowing and kept her in our house for three months before she "found out". So we did what was right, and we hired an attorney in Washington which cost me 7500 dollars out of pocket and an additional 5,000 dollars in a loan to cover the costs. The court found that the DVPO was not legitimate due to insufficient evidence provided by the petitioner, and that the petitioner was not credible as she was unable to remember any dates, times, names, or anything related to the case. Our attorney at the end of the proceeding openly requested for Court costs and attorneys fees to be rendered to us, the respondent, and the judge requested that we put another motion to the court for the proceedings. Our attorney put a motion for withdraw the same day.
Now two months later after my bumbling around the Washington legal system have served the petitioner with all of our financial documents regarding the court costs, e-filing documents and financial declarations, itemized lists of what we are being charged for, being told we didn't do X,Y, or Z right in the filing system, only to be told that we have to have a Washington Statute for the Judge to have authority to legally require the Petitioner to pay our attorneys fees and court costs.

Right now I have found two that may do the trick but I need to get them verified so I stop wasting my time, so any help would be amazing.

The Washington long arm statute, sec-tion 4.28.185(5) of the Revised Code of Washington,1 allows prevailing nonresident defendants to recover their attorney's fees from losing resident plaintiffs.

RCW 11.96A.150

Costs—Attorneys' fees.

(1) Either the superior court or any court on an appeal may, in its discretion, order costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, to be awarded to any party: (a) From any party to the proceedings; (b) from the assets of the estate or trust involved in the proceedings; or (c) from any nonprobate asset that is the subject of the proceedings. The court may order the costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, to be paid in such amount and in such manner as the court determines to be equitable. In exercising its discretion under this section, the court may consider any and all factors that it deems to be relevant and appropriate, which factors may but need not include whether the litigation benefits the estate or trust involved.
(2) This section applies to all proceedings governed by this title, including but not limited to proceedings involving trusts, decedent's estates and properties, and guardianship matters. This section shall not be construed as being limited by any other specific statutory provision providing for the payment of costs, including RCW 11.68.070 and 11.24.050, unless such statute specifically provides otherwise. This section shall apply to matters involving guardians and guardians ad litem.

Will she be able to pay if she's ordered to?

Forums such as this can give general advice, but what you are asking crosses into the practice of law. What you are asking requires the advice of an attorney (your attorney).

If you back up to the top of 11.96A you'll see it applies to Trust and Estate Dispute Resolution.

I would say that the section you quoted would not apply.

My wife and I were taking care of her Grand Niece, a 3yo girl. We had every form of written documentation required to get her from Washington to Texas, including keeping CPS, her mother, and San Antonio PD involved and aware that we had her and she was safe.

But did you have a COURT ORDER awarding you the LEGAL right to custody of the child?

If you did not have a court order then keeping everybody aware means nothing.

That the mother wasn't successful in getting the child back doesn't mean she wasn't entitled to get the child back. She just made a mistake filing a DVPO instead of filing for custody.

I'll keep my conclusions to myself until you have answered the question in bold type.

I've been attending a very special educational institution for ALL of my life.

I've yet to graduate, because the curriculum is extremely difficult at my one day alma mater, GLOBAL INSTITUTE OF LIFE LESSONS AND HARD KNOCKS!

Long story short, her mother is mentally ill and filed a DVPO against my wife claiming that we kidnapped her daughter and somehow got her halfway across the country without her knowing and kept her in our house for three months before she "found out".

It is futile for mere mortals to attempt intervention in the affairs of mentally incompetent individuals.

Insofar as mentally challenged or deranged individuals, steer clear of them.

Psychologists/psychiatrists generally don't fare that well healing/curing the mentally ill, either.

Don't interfere in domestic and/or child rearing matters.

Human beings are generally unable to remediate their own disabilities/foibles, much less so those of other human beings.sofhardknocks.jpg

We were working on getting court/partial custody but she had a relapse before that was able to get her written/court/official agreement. All we had at the time was her written word in text/email/and verbal agreement. While the Civil case was being processed, we got trumped by the DVPO because it was a superior court case.

We weren't taking her child from her, she agreed to allow us to take her daughter home with us so we could provide for her. If she had gone through Civil Court we would have won. She went through superior court which trumps civil court. She most likely knew she would lose but it allowed our custody case to stop right in it's tracks.

This was my Wife's family and the childs mother had open cases with CPS so we were doing the right thing. It doesn't have much to do with anything else.

I need ideas of the statutes that I need to research more so than advice regarding my life decisions or moral discussion.

Thank you.

If you noticed, this was a DVPO not a kidnapping or criminal case. The Court requested that we reschedule for a hearing to determine court costs and attorneys fees as dictated in our hearing.

I'm trying to find a statute because the attorney who requested the court costs and attorneys fees withdrew and won't help us any further.

After reading the RCW I realize that it is more associated with property than our situation. Thank you for pointing that out

Last edited:
Will she be able to pay if she's ordered to?

Forums such as this can give general advice, but what you are asking crosses into the practice of law. What you are asking requires the advice of an attorney (your attorney).
Not sure why her ability to pay matters. She had enough money to pay 400 dollar same day plane tickets 4 times in 30 days so, Yes she does.

General advice, in a "legal forum" would imply legal advice would it not?

We had an attorney but once the commissioner gave her verdict she withdrew before putting any documentation or guidance on requesting court costs and attorneys fees. All it said on the docket was "will revisit for court costs/ attorneys fees on another day".

OK, bottom line here is that you want your attorney fees paid by the child's mother. Here's what I have learned so far.

"In 2021 the Washington State legislature passed House Bill 1320 which was meant to simplify the protection order petition process for victims of domestic violence. Washington has six different types of protection orders (which some states refer to as restraining orders). HB 1320 was intended to increase the accessibility, efficiency, and effectiveness of protection orders by consolidating domestic violence, vulnerable adult, anti-harassment, sexual assault, stalking, and extreme risk, which were previously separate protection orders."

Scroll down to "New Forms of Relief" and note the final sentence of the paragraph:

"Finally, courts cannot order the petitioner to obtain services or pay respondent's costs."

Searching further I found this guide to protective orders. It reveals that the new statute is RCW 7.105 and explains on Page 5 and Page 7 that only the Petitioner can be awarded attorney fees, not the respondent and refers to RCW 7.105.310(1)(j). Page 7 cites an example of a denied petition with the award of attorney fees to the Respondent as reversible error on appeal.

Here is RCW 7.105 in its entirety.

7.105.310(1)(j) allows an award of attorney fees to the Petitioner and makes no mention of attorney fees to the Respondent nor does the statute address denial of a petition.

I went a step further. I did a search for appellate cases regarding 7.105.310(1)(j) and found 8 recent cases. All 8 of them involved awarding attorney fees to the original Petitioner and none of them addressed fees to the original Respondent when the Petition was denied.

I have gone as far as I can go and have not found any authority that would allow a judge to award you attorney fees.

The statute RCW 7.105 has consolidated WA statutes regarding protective orders and any previous law that you might find reference to would be invalid.

OK, bottom line here is that you want your attorney fees paid by the child's mother. Here's what I have learned so far.

"In 2021 the Washington State legislature passed House Bill 1320 which was meant to simplify the protection order petition process for victims of domestic violence. Washington has six different types of protection orders (which some states refer to as restraining orders). HB 1320 was intended to increase the accessibility, efficiency, and effectiveness of protection orders by consolidating domestic violence, vulnerable adult, anti-harassment, sexual assault, stalking, and extreme risk, which were previously separate protection orders."

Scroll down to "New Forms of Relief" and note the final sentence of the paragraph:

"Finally, courts cannot order the petitioner to obtain services or pay respondent's costs."

Searching further I found this guide to protective orders. It reveals that the new statute is RCW 7.105 and explains on Page 5 and Page 7 that only the Petitioner can be awarded attorney fees, not the respondent and refers to RCW 7.105.310(1)(j). Page 7 cites an example of a denied petition with the award of attorney fees to the Respondent as reversible error on appeal.

Here is RCW 7.105 in its entirety.

7.105.310(1)(j) allows an award of attorney fees to the Petitioner and makes no mention of attorney fees to the Respondent nor does the statute address denial of a petition.

I went a step further. I did a search for appellate cases regarding 7.105.310(1)(j) and found 8 recent cases. All 8 of them involved awarding attorney fees to the original Petitioner and none of them addressed fees to the original Respondent when the Petition was denied.

I have gone as far as I can go and have not found any authority that would allow a judge to award you attorney fees.

The statute RCW 7.105 has consolidated WA statutes regarding protective orders and any previous law that you might find reference to would be invalid.
Thank you for all the information! I wasn't able to find anything aside from the ones above but I'll give it a shot only because our attorney made the request but didn't go any further than that.

I will look around on that as well and see if I can find anything additional.

Thank you again!

Back