CA renter's nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissabeth

I live in CA and signed a lease to rent a house with two other girls. Within 72 hours of signing, it became apparent that one of the other girls had sever depression issues that had not been disclosed to me, so I opted to contact the landlord, pull out of the lease, and stop payment on my security deposit check. We signed on October 1, 2010. I pulled out, contacted the landlord, and stopped payment on my check within 72 hours of signing. The landlord never contacted me, and has not since.

The other two girls decided to move into the house regardless, and have been paying the extra rent, split between the two of them.

Now, almost 6 months later, I have received an email saying that they (the two girls) are pursuing legal action to regain the rent they have been paying. I have still not heard anything from the landlord.

Is there a statute of limitations on when rent can be collected? Also, as I am under no contractual obligation to either of them for any sum of money, what can they pursue legally? Again, the landlord has not contacted me at all. Am I under any obligation to pay them money?

Thank you! This whole situation is like a nightmare that just won't end!

The girls don't have any claim to make against you- only the landlord would. Don't worry about their emails. Ignore them.
Even so, you never actually lived there. I don't believe the landlord would even be entitled to anything.

Did the Landlord allow you out of lease either verbally or in writing? did you discuss this with the other roommates? They may very well have a legal claim on you as they were left in dark and forced to pay your share of rent. Furthermore if you signed lease a were not removed from it that further their (the roommates) claim.

The OP may mistaken believe that the 3 day so-called "Cooling Off Period" where one can back out of a contract without the fear of a financial penalty extends to real estate contracts. I mention this because of their comment regarding changing their mind after signing a contract (the lease) but pulling out within 72 hours.

Unfortunately, real estate contracts are exempt from this:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro03.shtm

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back