can I be forced out of my lease with a verbal intent to move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julieamc

Hi, I am in Oregon and have signed a 6 month lease that ends Dec 13, 2010. I have paid my rent through September 30th. I told my landlord on September 1st that I was going to move out on or around the 15th of September. I didn't sign anything or give a written notice. Now, she's making me get out by the 12th because she has someone else that wants my apartment. She wouldn't even let me find someone to take over my lease. She won't give me my deposit or my prorated rent and she's going to charge me for breaking my lease. She says in Oregon that a verbal lease termination is the same as a written one. This doesn't seem right. Is this right? Can she kick me out?

Last edited:
Landlord is wrong.
Even though you said you were moving out, you do not have to.
If the landlord attempts to force you out then you can sure for illegal eviction.

Also, if you leave on the 12th as requested, the landlord will have zero damages as a result of you breaking the lease, and will have no claim against you since you were asked to leave early.

If the landlord refuses to pay back your deposits, and assuming you leave the place in tip-top shape, you would likely do quite well in court recovering your losses.

The landlord would essentially have no losses, and therefore no entitlement to your deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back