Can landlord lock you out of property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbgr30

I own a small business and was behind one month in rent. I showed up for work on Monday morning to find that the landlord had changed all locks for my business. I did not recieve any written or verbal notice that he was going to enter premises nor any notice regarding rent. I have had several problems with repairs that have still not been fixed and have given him reciepts for over $600 of repairs paid by me. I owe him $500 for rent for this month and he has not taken money for repars off rent. I think I need to file a complaint in case we go to court however, I am not sure if it is legal for my landlord to this or what I need to do. Due to being locked out of my place of business, I have already lost several thousand dollars in revenue. He will not answer my calls either. What should I do?

I own a small business and was behind one month in rent. I showed up for work on Monday morning to find that the landlord had changed all locks for my business. I did not recieve any written or verbal notice that he was going to enter premises nor any notice regarding rent. I have had several problems with repairs that have still not been fixed and have given him reciepts for over $600 of repairs paid by me. I owe him $500 for rent for this month and he has not taken money for repars off rent. I think I need to file a complaint in case we go to court however, I am not sure if it is legal for my landlord to this or what I need to do. Due to being locked out of my place of business, I have already lost several thousand dollars in revenue. He will not answer my calls either. What should I do?

What your landlord did was illegal.
You can't (legally) lock your tenants out for non-payment of rent.
I suggest you speak to (and engage) the services of an attorney.
If you do this CORRECTLY (don't even try it without a lawyer), you just might have found a goose that lays GOLDEN EGGS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back