damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshumway

I currently moved out and into another residence. I received an email from my past landlord in regards to what my total was for any costs that I incurred due to damages, etc. She is saying that i have to have the balance paid by Sept 30 or she will seek legal council. There is not any way i can come up with that amount of money in that short frame of time. If I make payments can she still sue me? I am not disputing the total or anything I just cannot come up with that amount of money by then. She is a very uncooperative person and lives in Texas but always wanting me to make my schedule work for her. I am a single mom of 3 and cannot take off work just to accommodate her.

Thanks you, Donna Shumway

Whether she agrees to the payments or not, of you send her payments it will take the wind from her sails if she tries to sue you over it.

In the biz myself, we always want to work with previous residents. Understanding that extenuating circumstances present themselves at the most inconvenient times it doesn't reduce the amount owed or due. I also understand that some LL's can be difficult especially if they own the home and take it personally when they need to out of pocket the damage expense in an effort to re-rent for future income. All of this hits deep in their pockets as well.

With that said...I see the posts on here frequently...anyone can sue for any reason however making it difficult in the sense of sending monthly payments makes it a bit more difficult. I try and have balances over 4k paid within 24 months.

My experience, yes, she can and may sue you for damages to not only include property damage, but court costs, administrative fees and attorney fees should she seek counsel. My advice, try and work with her as difficult as it may be, but please also remember you damaged her home, she is simply trying to be made whole. And unfortunately, unless her requests to meet with you are completely unreasonable, in this situation it appears you are on the mercy of her schedule irregardless of how inconvenient it may appear at times.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back