HELP! I need to get out of a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

30milafter

Background:

1. I'm moving out of state.
2. Landlord is cool with me moving out!
3. I co-signed lease with my roommate (no co-tenant agreement)
4. Roommate is staying

Is there a way to just take my name off w/o tearing up the lease? You can do amendment on a lease amirite?

Thanks you guys

Background:

1. I'm moving out of state.
2. Landlord is cool with me moving out!
3. I co-signed lease with my roommate (no co-tenant agreement)
4. Roommate is staying

Is there a way to just take my name off w/o tearing up the lease? You can do amendment on a lease amirite?

Thanks you guys

The lease can only be changed IF your landlord agrees to the changes.

If you want to be let off the HOOK, you gotta give something to get something.

Why not offer him a month's rent to put the lease in your rommie's name?

Bottom line, he doesn't have to agree to anything, except to keep things as they are UNTIL the lease expires.

Try to bargain and beg, but do not demand.

This calls for great negotiation skills.

Your obligation is to your landlord, not to your roommate. If the landlord is okay with you leaving then be sure you have given proper notice according to the lease and obtain a written statement that excuses you from any obligation beyond a specific date. Your co-tenant may not be happy, but that is what you risk when you have co-tenants. Your co-tenant OR your landlord can locate a new tenant to take your place.

Out of curiosity, how much time is left on your lease? If you are month to month then none of this really matters. Just give notice and leave.

Your obligation is to your landlord, not to your roommate. If the landlord is okay with you leaving then be sure you have given proper notice according to the lease and obtain a written statement that excuses you from any obligation beyond a specific date. Your co-tenant may not be happy, but that is what you risk when you have co-tenants.

Haha truth.

Out of curiosity, how much time is left on your lease? If you are month to month then none of this really matters. Just give notice and leave.

Yeh I know, it expires in August

As a co-signer do I have any say as to who my roommate or landlord chooses to sublet the apt. to?

As a co-signer do I have any say as to who my roommate or landlord chooses to sublet the apt. to?

Nope.
Just be sure to get something from the landlord that states you are free from the lease. The landlord and the roommate can figure out where to go from there.

Your roommate co-signer knew (and so did you) that if the other person can't pay then he is responsible for the whole. If you can't afford the whole rent on your own then you should not be co-signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back