Injury due to unsafe area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindancer10

I hit my head on a planter hanging from a carport and was almost knocked unconcious and was witnessed by a neighbor. The pot hangs at eye level on the end of a carport. When no car is in space it is a straight shot through carport to car. Due to my disabilities I watch the ground and sun position also prevented me from seeing this hanging planter. I was hit in head 2 times on different occasions and while talking outside to manager he has alerted me to not hit head on planter when going to car. I politely asked after I hit my head the following day if they would be so kind as to remove the planters. I received a phone call from managers wife and she conveyed that it (the planters) would remain. I was shocked as there are 4 planters and they hang at eye level. I am 5 foot 4 inches. I was told remedy would be to walk around the carport on trips to my car. It saddened me as another resident conveyed also he had hit head too before. This is a 55 plus community and many people here have limitations on sight and movement. Is there a remedy? I also went to doctor for an evaluation for the headaches for 2 days. Today my muscles and neck hurt. I want to re approach but dont want to be evicted. I am in good standing with rental history and hate the idea of this becoming an issue in future. I am disabled also and the thought of moving kills me.

Your remedy is to do as the manager suggested or to move. Moving seems like a bit of an drastic choice for this relatively minor issue.

Gail

Gail

With further investigation it is in violation of landlord tenant act. They are to provide safe premises and this is not safe:angel

Safe premises involve issues such as carpets that are tacked down adequately (to prevent tripping), electrical wiring that is not a risk for shock or fire, stairs that are in such poor condition they encourage slips or falls, adequate lighting in stairwells to prevent falls, etc.

Quite frankly (and I say this being over 55 myself) if you cannot see a planter that is at eye level you should reconsider whether it is safe for you to drive a vehicle.

Gail

I have to agree with Gail. Personally, I am legally blind, so I have a lot of experience with ramming my head into things. I wont go into embarrassing details, however, I learned to avoid hitting my head on something the first go around, not to keep doing it. Point being, walk a different path as to avoid hitting your head, or ask them to raise them a few inches rather than being unreasonable and wanting them moved altogether.

I asked them to raise them. My driving skills do not interfere with walking. They are so low that other people have hit thier heads also. I'm trying to improve a situation where another person may do the same and not be as fortunate as I was. There is no reason actually not to remove them as the plants are half dead as summer is over. I am just documenting the incident as they are quick to jump without seeing the possible consequences of injury to human life. I have changed my path too but now have pictures to show and explain. I'll just sit back and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back