Landlord filed chapter 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby1214girl

I received a letter from the courts in TN (where my landlord lives) stating that she's filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy. After reviewing the documents, I've noticed that she wants to keep the property but I don't think it's a guarantee that she can, that will be up to the courts to decide. The hearing is on September 21st, 2010, but my rent is due on the 15th of every month. I'm not sure whether to keep sending my rent checks directly to her, or to put it in an escrow account until this is settled? In addition, if she loses the property what are my rights?
PLEASE ADVISE, ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

I received a letter from the courts in TN (where my landlord lives) stating that she's filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy. After reviewing the documents, I've noticed that she wants to keep the property but I don't think it's a guarantee that she can, that will be up to the courts to decide. The hearing is on September 21st, 2010, but my rent is due on the 15th of every month. I'm not sure whether to keep sending my rent checks directly to her, or to put it in an escrow account until this is settled? In addition, if she loses the property what are my rights?
PLEASE ADVISE, ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

If you have a written lease, you're golden.
You have a guaranteed tenancy at the contracted monthly price until the end of your current lease term.
Your deposit is in the hands of your landlord.
As long as you have proof of payment (usually in your lease), it is safe.
When you move out, your new landlord will most likely return it to you, as the new landlord (or the bank) will get the deposit from the current landlord.

So, her worry is not your worry.
What happens to her, won't happen to you.
You should continue to pay your landlord, making sure you do so by money order or check.
If you wish, you can attend the bankruptcy hearing.
But, not to worry.
It will have no impact on your life.
If she loses the property, a new landlord or the bank will be in touch with you as to how to make your lease payments.

Thanks for your reply Army Judge. It was a great help! I wish I could attend the hearing however, it will be held in TN and I live in PA. I'm fortunate enough to have a written lease signed by myself and the landlord. I just have one more question, Will I be notified if she does lose the property? If she does, I don't want to still send her rent payments if the property will not belong to her anymore.

baby1214girl said:
Thanks for your reply Army Judge. It was a great help! I wish I could attend the hearing however, it will be held in TN and I live in PA. I'm fortunate enough to have a written lease signed by myself and the landlord. I just have one more question, Will I be notified if she does lose the property? If she does, I don't want to still send her rent payments if the property will not belong to her anymore.

You should be notified.
If not, you can inquire of the court or her lawyer.
You have the information on hand.
If you want more updates, sign up for a PACER account. It'll tell you all you need to know about her BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back