Landlord wants to raise rent, I want to move out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcj2010

Hi everyone,

My landlord recently notified me that he wishes to raise the rent. He's given me one month's notice. He will be raising the rent in March. I advised him that I wish to move out, vacating the apartment by the end of February.

I am not currently under lease with the landlord. I originally had a lease for the first year that I lived here, but that expired over two years ago. Since then I have made monthly payments. My understanding is that I have a periodic tenancy, and the presumption is a monthly period. If that is so, am I ok to give only a month's a notice?

The previous lease indicated I was to give 60 days notice, but as he has only given me a month's notice before raising the rent am I not entitled to give him only a month's notice before vacating?

Thanks for your help!

How long have you lived there? It is possible that your landlord did not give adequate notice.
You have a month to month lease with the landlord. For you 30 days notice is sufficient. Give your notice in writing to be thorough.
The law only requires 30 days notice, regardless of what your lease says. The law may require the landlord to give 60 days notice of the rent increase.

As you describe it, you should be ok to move- just give written notice and save a copy or yourself. Your 30 days notice will begin the day you give written notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back