Mobile Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvbnh2008

I own a Mobile home at a Mobile Park and pay space rent each month. The Mobile home is old and not-movable (it is not an RV). Electricity is paid by me but water is provided by the park.

The electrical company just told me that the electric meter box (that provides service to my house) was damaged and needs to be repaired. I notified the landlord but they said the meter belongs to me and I have to pay for all the costs associated with the repair. They also said this is just a home and each home owner is responsible for maintaining the private line from the meter to the home.

I checked my rental agreement and there is nothing in there regarding the electric meter.

Is my landlord right in asking me to pay for this repair? Thanks.

Likely so. Renting a mobile park space is a bit different than a tenant renting a house, apartment, duplex (or even an actual mobile home).

State laws on mobile home parks typically state that the landlord/owner of the park is responsible for the condition of those utilities they provide and the tenants for the utility services they pay for. In this case, the landlord is responsible for the water lines (at least until they enter the mobile home). If the set up was that the units were NOT individually metered for electricity than the landlord would be responsible for repair/replacement.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back