Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

toptena

I moved into an apartment Jan. My husbands credit was not approved. The property manager agreed it was fine for my husband to stay as long as the lease was in my name. He's paid bills here, directly to them in the office. We have lived here until now.. OCTOBER... Now there is a new property manager. She informs me that property rules are that if he does not qualify then he cannot live here.. So she placed a notice for 15 days to move.. Is that legal. Since they have known this entire time he was here and approved it according to the instructions i received? We even moved to a bigger apartment same property. I would have Never extended my lease had I known he was not allowed. What do I do?

I moved into an apartment Jan. My husbands credit was not approved. The property manager agreed it was fine for my husband to stay as long as the lease was in my name. He's paid bills here, directly to them in the office. We have lived here until now.. OCTOBER... Now there is a new property manager. She informs me that property rules are that if he does not qualify then he cannot live here.. So she placed a notice for 15 days to move.. Is that legal. Since they have known this entire time he was here and approved it according to the instructions i received? We even moved to a bigger apartment same property. I would have Never extended my lease had I known he was not allowed. What do I do?

If you're married, only one spouse need be named on the lease.

Your husband doesn't have to leave.
He'd be foolish to leave.
The property manager doesn't have the power to order him out, only a judge can do that.

So, he should stay put.
If you're ordered to appear in court, take your marriage license and the judge will dismiss their silly lawsuit.

What one spouse contracts for, obligates the other. It is redundant to require both parties to be on the lease. Your marriage license bonds one for the actions of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back