Security deposit returned with no interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTtenant

I recently moved out and received the security deposit back, however without any interest, and I have rented the apartment for 4 years. When asked about not paying back the interest - landlord replied that supposedly I was late with rent payment many times, hence I should be happy I got my deposit back, because I was not even entitled to receive the whole amount of deposit due to supposed late fees. However, during last 4 years, the landlord never mentioned any late rent payments until when asked about returning interest on the deposit.. I always paid on time, and never had that problem with previous landlords.

Can he legally not give back the interest due to supposed late fees never before mentioned? Could he also have withheld part of the security deposit due to that?

Thanks in advance.

How much money are you talking about? I am guessing this is probably $100 or less? It probably is not worth it to pursue... it would cost you more than you would recover.

You might help yourself best if you look up your relevant state law that covers the matter, then send a polite but firm letter to the landlord demanding the payment (if you are actually entitled to it by the law).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back