Should both fill out the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankie

I know it's too late, but just so I'll know.

One prospective tenant came filled out the app. She was the most qualified, so she said she wanted her partner to look at it. They came back, and the woman liked the house and so they signed the lease. I really don't care about people's lifestyle choices. However, I believe that she is/was a he. Which probably has nothing to do with anything.

The question is since both people's names are on the lease should I have checked on both and had both fill out the application? The original applicant makes more than enough money, and provided she doesn't lose her job the money available to pay the rent should be no problem.

Thank you

If their lifestyle choices are an issue with you why bring it up? Yes you should have checked out both you might have a Felon in your Apartment now

I believe you meant to say 'if they're lifestyle choices aren't an issue why bring it up'. Nevertheless, I guess I would never have even thought about it if both were obviously female, but since the one person is using one name and identity with the one landlord the comment was something about her husband. I thought the landlord just misspoke about the husband, but after the visit and more discussion it wasn't. And, now the person is obviously dressed as a female with a female name. I'm just concerned there is some sort of potential legal problem for me as a landlord. I suppose there's no law about using a different name or dressing as a different sex, if you're not trying to defaurd. However, if the person is in some sort of sex change transformation, I really don't care, as long as they pay the rent, don't trash the house and obey the law.
And, I suppose when husband & wife apply for the rental both don't fill out applications as a norm, do they?

When I have a husband and wife fill out an application, information on everyone over the age of 18 who will be living there is required. This includes social security numbers so credit/criminal/eviction checks can be run.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back