Subleasing in San Francisco: Can I charge a Subletter a small security deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewihe

Hi,

I am hoping to sublet my room and my apartment in San Francisco for a month. I have read many of the other forums and laws about the legality of subletting (according to lease) and not charging more than the rent to the subletter.

I was wondering if that means I cannot request a small security deposit from a subletter. I just want to make sure they have an incentive to keep things so nice so that if they do damage and my landlady charges us out of the security deposit for damage they do, I have come compensation.

I also read that in NY you can charge a "furniture use" fee that can be up to 10% of the rent.

I am thinking pretty small figures, maybe $50 max for a security deposit which I'd most likely return and maybe $25 for the use of furniture. The rent for the room is $700, for comparison.

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

I am hoping to sublet my room and my apartment in San Francisco for a month. I have read many of the other forums and laws about the legality of subletting (according to lease) and not charging more than the rent to the subletter.

I was wondering if that means I cannot request a small security deposit from a subletter. I just want to make sure they have an incentive to keep things so nice so that if they do damage and my landlady charges us out of the security deposit for damage they do, I have come compensation.

I also read that in NY you can charge a "furniture use" fee that can be up to 10% of the rent.

I am thinking pretty small figures, maybe $50 max for a security deposit which I'd most likely return and maybe $25 for the use of furniture. The rent for the room is $700, for comparison.

Thanks for any help!

Your "security deposit" and "furniture use" fees are more of nuisance thatn a help if the WORST happens.
A $50 security deposit is useless if your "tenant" gets hopped up on something and wreaks havoc in your room.
It sure as heck won't nearly begin to help you in case your "tenant' goes nuts or has friends that go nuts!
The furniture use fee is also more an annoyance than a preventative.

I suggest you just don't do it.
These sublet situations end poorly for the leaseholder.
The little bit of rent money isn't worth the hassle in the end.

But, none of what you propose is illegal, as long as your lease doesn't prohibit you from subletting!
Read your lease.
All of your legal answers are in your lease.

I must add an exception to that to cities such as NY, LA, San Francisco, etc...make sure your building has no ordinances prohibiting sublets. Some of those rent controlled buildings and the like disallow sublets.Ask your landlord, or read your lease. It should be displayed for all to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back