Take Roommate to Small Claims for Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkimbro

My roommate moved out with notice, she was not on the lease, but the elctric bill was in her name as the main account holder (for 6mos+), and I was listed as a contact or someone able to disscus the bill. I have gotten different response from the electric company about how we could have handled the final bil so i dont really know the right answer on how we should have done itl. I was told if I was a "customer of record" she could take her name off theand transfer it to me, if I signed a paper staying I was going to be taking over payments. The following moring she told me she was goin in to ttranker the service. Later I recieved a text saying I was to in to the electric company to accept the transfer. In realility she went in and had our service disconnected.

The previous deposit of $250 was applied to the final payment. But I had to re-start service in my name. I now have a $290 - Deposit and a $27 - Establishment Fee as well as the amount of electric used before they read the metter. Once again she did not tell me that she was going to be disconnecting the service. She had actually text me and told me that it was going to be transfered. I did not find out the full situation until late afternoon. I was just curious if there is maybe a civil claim, or small claims court case I could file against her for the deposits we incured because we were not notified, or were lied to in our notification.

Im thinking I do have claim to this money, as well as the upaid rent, because I was the one who paid the initial $250 when the service was started in her name. So from some of what ive been reading, I should be entitled to that money back. And so, the $250 applied to the final payment is actually my money not hers and she should owe 1/3 of the bill as she did when she was living here

Rent is due the 1st of every month, with Electric on the 6th. She moved out on the 24th. I dont think I can hold her accountable for rent because she was not on the lease but this bill is going to be over half my rent

You can sue anyone for anything. The problem will be enforcing the judgment should you prevail. Unlike the tv court shows, you don't walk out of te court room with anything but a piece of paper. You then must collect in that judgment. It isn't easy, especially in Florida and Texas.

If I were in your position, I'd forget her and move on.

Honestly, your argument sounds pretty weak. If she paid the deposit and is no longer going to live there then she is entitled to her deposit.
If you or anyone else is going to live there then you are reasonably expected to pay a deposit, which you will get back when you leave.
I'm not seeing that you have really been damaged in any way.
You could try to sue, but I don't expect you would get very far with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back