TEXAS - Landlord Takes Half Month's Rent for Untimely Return of Keys -- LEGAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockonkerri

Hi, my name is Kerri. I moved from one townhouse to another, and I'm having trouble recovering my security deposit from my previous landlord.

I lived in the property for 5 years. I initially rented from another landlord, who then sold the property to the current landlord. Upon making the decision to move out, I appropriately notified my landlord in writing that I would be leaving.

We agreed that I would move out August 1st. She then verbally agreed to give me a few additional days, for no charge, to move my belongings.

I moved, and I wasn't able to send the keys to her right away. My lease ended August 1st. I left the property (after extensive cleaning) August 4th. I mailed the keys priority mail on August 17th.

My deposit was promised to be returned the 15th of September. It wasn't. I texted the landlord about the absence of the deposit, and she said she would mail it by the next week. I explained my mom would be happy to pick it up in person.

The check she returned to my mom was for $208. I initially paid a $200 pet deposit and a $500 security deposit. My landlord claims to have taken $80 for cleaning and deodorizing the carpet, which I feel was covered under general wear and tear. (I did live there for FIVE years.) She also took $492 for a half month's rent. She claims this is because she didn't have the keys. She had texted me the first week of August explaining she couldn't get into the property.

I can't find anything in the Texas property code that attests to whether I had a certain number of days to return the keys. And no where does it say that if I didn't return them in a timely manner, she could charge rent.

She wasn't renting the property to another tenant after I moved out because she wanted to renovate and make repairs. Therefore, she wasn't going to have any income from my unit during the month of September. I feel like she's trying to make a claim to keep the money because of that. Also I have a hard time believing, as a landlord, she doesn't have other keys to the property. And that I had the only set.

Please, someone who knows Texas tenant/landlord law... please explain to me: can she legally charge rent for each day she didn't have the key? If not, what can she charge for?

Do I have a case to take her to small claims court? If so, what documents do I need to back me up?

Thank you!
Kerri

It took a while to mail the keys back because I was busy with moving in and work. I know that sounds stupid. I contacted her via text on August 4th to let her know I was out of the property. She responded and told me to get the keys to her "ASAP," or she would charge me half a month's rent. She didn't give me a specific time frame.

I've been on a month-to-month basis with her for 4 of the 5 years. The last lease I signed was in 2006.

I reread the lease, and it doesn't address the return of keys.

You can take this issue to court but I doubt you will prevail and it will likely cost more than the money your seeking. Long as you held keys you had access to unit and still had possesion. Your own post here you admit you "knew" you would be charged if you did not get keys returned ASAP. by the way I doubt you can claim ASAP as two weeks!

Your prolonged retention of the keys illustrates possession.

Delay in returning the keys illustrates possession.

There is no case law, merely legal precedent.

There are many ways the keys could have been returned sooner.

You received the balance of your deposit upon the keys being returned.

You should have requested your mom walkthrough the unit and returned the keys at that time.

What the landlord does with the property, isn't the tenant's concern.

You sue, you'll lose.

It'll also cost you $200 to sue.

The fumigation of pet odor is allowed.

The pet's odor isn't as obnoxious to the pet's owner, as it is to other's.

Not very wise sue, because you'll lose.

But, we only need the filing fee to bring a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back