Personal Bankruptcy Am I required by Law to submit my payroll information for this credit card?

Victor Garcia

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello, I have a credit card that I was not able to pay because I got sick. I did a virtual meeting recently with the judge and the creditor to make an agreement. I got sick again and I cant afford to make the $75 monthly payments. I received a letter from the court saying that I have to submit my payroll information for the payments. I cant afford it right now and I am worried about it. This has never happened to me so wanted to see what options I have. Thanks

My illness is Bipolar Disorder and OCD

Hello, I have a credit card that I was not able to pay because I got sick. I did a virtual meeting recently with the judge and the creditor to make an agreement. I got sick again and I cant afford to make the $75 monthly payments. I received a letter from the court saying that I have to submit my payroll information for the payments. I cant afford it right now and I am worried about it. This has never happened to me so wanted to see what options I have. Thanks

If you are already talking to judge and the creditor then this has been going on for a while.

Your options are to provide your payroll information, as the court requires, or get a default judgement against you.

I did a virtual meeting recently with the judge and the creditor to make an agreement.

I take it this means that your creditor sued you, that you did a mediation, and that you entered into a settlement agreement. As part of the settlement, did you stipulate to the entry of a judgment against you?

I received a letter from the court saying that I have to submit my payroll information for the payments.

Was this really just a letter? Did it reference a section of the Florida statutes? If so, what section is referenced? What exactly did the letter say?

Am I required by Law to submit my payroll information for this credit card?

Well...you yourself told us that the "letter from the court" says that you "have to submit [your] payroll information," so you seem to have answered your own question.

If the court is asking for your payroll info, it's probably required by law, but you might still have some options. You could try reaching out to the court or the creditor to explain what's going on and see if they'll work with you to adjust the payments. It might also help to talk to a lawyer or legal aid, especially since your health is involved, there could be other options you're not aware of.

Whether you are required to submit that information depends on information I don't have. I've not seen the details of the lawsuit that was filed against you, the terms of the agreement you had, nor the "letter" that you received. In general judges don't send letters to litigants asking for information they issue orders requiring the party to comply with the judge's directive. If what you received was in fact a court order (or a notice that a court order had been entered) requiring you to supply that information then you are indeed required to do so or face sanctions from the court, which may include sanctions for contempt, granting a motion filed by the opposing side, entering a judgment against you (if that hasn't happened already). You might benefit from some help from a legal aid organization in Florida that provides free or low cost legal help. The Florida Courts page on Legal Aid would be a good place to start. That page lists a number of legal aid organizations in Florida that you may contact to see what help you may be able to get.

Back