Consumer Law, Warranties Amazon refund

Rebecca Rose

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
February 7, 2024 $11,000 of merchandise was delivered to my home. It was done accidentally by a family member. That's neither here nor there. Amazon is the issue not the bank.
I promptly notified Amazon. One of the supervisors arranged for a transport truck to pickup & return the items to them distribution center in Ohio. The unopened boxes were picked up 3-1 and arrived at their destination on 3-5. I have pictures & documention from the transport company & supervisor.
At this time I was to receive my refund within 30 days.
The supervisor kept me up to date mostly by text. For caution, I made sure I put things about my refund in the text messages to have a record if need be. I also have a chat screenshot from other agents.
To this day, 50 phone calls, transfers, talking with supervisors & promises, I've yet to get my refund.
Agent replies, it's too late for a refund. You never returned the merchandise, we'll work on getting it back to you within a week.
It's now July 2nd. Do I have recourse to my refund, time & money lost.
Could you please direct me on what to do next? The money and interest is financially killing me.
Thank you.

Since you mentioned interest, I'm assuming that you paid by credit card. Have you filed a dispute with your credit card company?

Do I have recourse to my refund, time & money lost.

If you have any right to a refund at all, it's just for the amount spent on the items.

Your time and interest paid on credit cards is not likely to be compensable, although Amazon may give you a gift card for your trouble.

Try escalating to corporate by email.

cs-escalations@amazon.com

If you don't get satisfaction that way, there are corporate executives to email.

Primary Contact
Candi Castleberry-Singleton
Vice President of Inclusive eXperiences u0026 Technology (IXT)
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
candigbl@amazon.com
(206) 266-1000

Secondary Contact
Doug Herrington
Chief Executive Officer, Worldwide Amazon Stores
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
herringtond@amazon.com
(206) 266-6108
Chief Executive
Andy Jassy
Chief Executive Officer
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
ajassy@amazon.com
(206) 266-2958
Alternative: andy@amazon.com

"Accidentally by a family member"?

I'd sure like to know how that happened.
Oh come on. I'm asking what do next. Not really into rehashing this whole thing all over again and be told I shouldn't allow someone with disabilities be on a computer. And before I get asked more about it. Even if he's given a credit card he would not know how to use a credit card.
Amazon has already admitted whether or not you save your card to your account they store them. No matter the fact over 1 year I used his Amazon account to purchase things for him, not even over $500.00 worth of merchandise Amazon very much stores cards. They admitted I did not save them.
I don't want my last steps, I'd like to stay focused on my next steps.

If you have any right to a refund at all, it's just for the amount spent on the items.

Your time and interest paid on credit cards is not likely to be compensable, although Amazon may give you a gift card for your trouble.

Try escalating to corporate by email.

cs-escalations@amazon.com

If you don't get satisfaction that way, there are corporate executives to email.

Primary Contact
Candi Castleberry-Singleton
Vice President of Inclusive eXperiences u0026 Technology (IXT)
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
candigbl@amazon.com
(206) 266-1000

Secondary Contact
Doug Herrington
Chief Executive Officer, Worldwide Amazon Stores
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
herringtond@amazon.com
(206) 266-6108
Chief Executive
Andy Jassy
Chief Executive Officer
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
ajassy@amazon.com
(206) 266-2958
Alternative: andy@amazon.com
Thank you! I very much appreciate it.

$11,000 of merchandise was delivered to my home. It was done accidentally by a family member.

So...a family member mistakenly ordered stuff and had it delivered to your home? What exactly is the relationship of this family member? Spouse? Child? Third cousin?

At this time I was to receive my refund within 30 days.

Why would you receive a refund if you didn't order the stuff? Did your family member have access to your account? If so, was that access authorized?

Do I have recourse to my refund, time & money lost.

Maybe. You'll need to clarify the information above.

Oh come on. I'm asking what do next. Not really into rehashing this whole thing all over again. . . .

You haven't "hashed" it in the first place. In the world of the law, fact matter. In this case, the details of how the purchase was made matter greatly for purposes of your question about "recourse" for a refund.

Have you filed a dispute with your credit card?
Yes, it's in Amazon's hands not the banks.

So...the answer to Zigner's question is "yes"? If so, has your credit card issuer made a final determination of that dispute? If so, what was the determination?

It's now July 2nd. Do I have recourse to my refund, time & money lost.

Could you please direct me on what to do next? The money and interest is financially killing me.
Thank you.

This might be your next, perhaps only step available.

Take a few minutes to read how small claims court functions in PA.

The amount you alleged is owed to is less than $12,000.

If you sue and prevail, you'll receive the $11,000 that you claim Amazon owes you, plus your court costs paid to the magesterial court.

How Does Pennsylvania Small Claims Court Work?

A small claims case starts by filing a claim with the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court. You'll serve a copy of the claim and court date on the "defendant," the person or company you're suing.

At the trial, you'll present evidence supporting your case. In response, the defendant could present a defense to your action or, if the defendant filed a crossclaim, submit evidence proving you owe the defendant money.

The judge will issue a money judgment to whoever proves they're entitled to an award. The money judgment allows the creditor to collect using property liens, wage garnishments, bank account levies, and property seizures.

There is a lower limit in PA small claims, than in the many other 49 states.

What's the small claims court limit in the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court?

You can ask for up to $12,000 in a small claims action in the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court. Plaintiffs with claims exceeding the limit can use small claims court if they're willing to accept the $12,000 cap. Otherwise, they must file in a higher court.

Example. Faith, Emma, and Charlie each have personal injury cases and are considering filing in small claims court. Faith and Emma's medical bills exceed $20,000. Charlie's bills are $1,000. When researching small claims rules, they learn about the Pennsylvania $12,000 small claims limit. Here's what they decide to do next.

Faith, wanting $20,000 total compensation, hires a lawyer to file her case in a higher court. Although Charlie can recover his $1,000 in medical bills in small claims court, he also wants compensation for vehicle damage and extensive pain and suffering. Charlie hires a lawyer and files in a higher court. Emma is willing to forgo $8,000 to avoid lengthy litigation and files in small claims court, representing herself.

901 Enterprise Street, Second FloorDickson City, PA 18519
The phone number for 45-1-08 Magisterial District is: 570-383-0421. The fax number for 45-1-08 Magisterial District is: 570-383-6934.

45-3-01

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-01 is Paul Keeler . The 45-3-01 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

104 Shady Lane RoadPO Box 427Chinchilla, PA 18410
The phone number for 45-3-01 Magisterial District is: 570-587-1909. The fax number for 45-3-01 Magisterial District is: 570-587-8784.

45-3-02

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-02 is Kipp E. Adcock . The 45-3-02 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

119 North Main StreetMoscow, PA 18444
The phone number for 45-3-02 Magisterial District is: 570-842-2111. The fax number for 45-3-02 Magisterial District is: 570-842-9117.

45-3-03

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-03 is Sean P. McGraw . The 45-3-03 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

38 North Main StreetCarbondale, PA 18407
The phone number for 45-3-03 Magisterial District is: 570-282-3181. The fax number for 45-3-03 Magisterial District is: 570-282-9269.

45-3-04

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-04 is Laura M. Turlip . The 45-3-04 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

Archbald Borough Building400 Church Street, Second FloorArchbald, PA 18403
The phone number for 45-3-04 Magisterial District is: 570-876-0570. The fax number for 45-3-04 Magisterial District is: 570-876-6412.

Where Can a Small Claims Court Case Be Filed?

Courts in Pennsylvania are divided into districts. Each district has an elected Magisterial District Judge. A case should be filed in the Magisterial District where:

• the business is located or where the defendant lives
  • the contract involved was signed or performance was made
  • the accident occurred
  • the goods involved are permanently kept
Once you locate what the appropriate court should be, you should contact the court to determine whether it is the appropriate place to file your claim. The plaintiff should also inquire from the clerk what the filing fee will be. You will pay the filing fee when you file the Complaint with the court. The form "Civil Complaint" need to be completed by the plaintiff. If the plaintiff plans to include information that could be deemed confidential, the plaintiff needs to complete the Confidential Information Form (which is found on the same page).

Types of Cases Handled by a Magisterial District Judge in Lackawanna County

Magisterial District Judges are judges elected by the people of their district to handle criminal preliminary arraignments and preliminary hearings, summary criminal offenses, traffic offenses, municipal code violations, landlord / tenant actions, and civil actions where the damages do not exceed $12,000 (commonly known as small claims court).

So...a family member mistakenly ordered stuff and had it delivered to your home? What exactly is the relationship of this family member? Spouse? Child? Third cousin?

Why would you receive a refund if you didn't order the stuff? Did your family member have access to your account? If so, was that access authorized?

Maybe. You'll need to clarify the information above.

You haven't "hashed" it in the first place. In the world of the law, fact matter. In this case, the details of how the purchase was made matter greatly for purposes of your question about "recourse" for a refund.

So...the answer to Zigner's question is "yes"? If so, has your credit card issuer made a final determination of that dispute? If so, what was the determination?
A family member who has IDD ( intellectual disabilities) lives with me . He has an Amazon account paid through his funding. There are no credit cards saved on this account. However, I have purchased things for him time to time but never once saved my cards to the account. When I asked Amazon WHY they would allow someone else's credit cards to be used on a person's account different than the credit card, they only said the cards had been used in that account before.... and so.

Before all the merchandise had been delivered I was on the phone with both the bank and Amazon. Amazon told me to file a dispute.... which I did.
Amazon also created 1 ticket for all the items to be returned. They arranged a for a truck to come to the house, pickup and return the merchandise to the distribution center in Lockbourne Ohio. I have the copy of the tracking number, distribution & receiving number. I took photos of the truck and made the driver sign the time in and out from our home.
The transport company did their job. I did my job getting the merchandise back to them.. all within 3 weeks of this nightmare.
The only thing left is my refund, which they keep giving me the run around about.
I've read so many horror stories about Amazon & their business practices and I'm lost as to what do I do next?

This might be your next, perhaps only step available.

Take a few minutes to read how small claims court functions.

How Does Pennsylvania Small Claims Court Work?

A small claims case starts by filing a claim with the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court. You'll serve a copy of the claim and court date on the "defendant," the person or company you're suing.

At the trial, you'll present evidence supporting your case. In response, the defendant could present a defense to your action or, if the defendant filed a crossclaim, submit evidence proving you owe the defendant money.

The judge will issue a money judgment to whoever proves they're entitled to an award. The money judgment allows the creditor to collect using property liens, wage garnishments, bank account levies, and property seizures.

There is a lower limit in PA small claims, than in the many other 49 states.

What's the small claims court limit in the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court?

You can ask for up to $12,000 in a small claims action in the Pennsylvania Magisterial District Court. Plaintiffs with claims exceeding the limit can use small claims court if they're willing to accept the $12,000 cap. Otherwise, they must file in a higher court.

Example. Faith, Emma, and Charlie each have personal injury cases and are considering filing in small claims court. Faith and Emma's medical bills exceed $20,000. Charlie's bills are $1,000. When researching small claims rules, they learn about the Pennsylvania $12,000 small claims limit. Here's what they decide to do next.

Faith, wanting $20,000 total compensation, hires a lawyer to file her case in a higher court. Although Charlie can recover his $1,000 in medical bills in small claims court, he also wants compensation for vehicle damage and extensive pain and suffering. Charlie hires a lawyer and files in a higher court. Emma is willing to forgo $8,000 to avoid lengthy litigation and files in small claims court, representing herself.

901 Enterprise Street, Second FloorDickson City, PA 18519
The phone number for 45-1-08 Magisterial District is: 570-383-0421. The fax number for 45-1-08 Magisterial District is: 570-383-6934.

45-3-01

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-01 is Paul Keeler . The 45-3-01 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

104 Shady Lane RoadPO Box 427Chinchilla, PA 18410
The phone number for 45-3-01 Magisterial District is: 570-587-1909. The fax number for 45-3-01 Magisterial District is: 570-587-8784.

45-3-02

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-02 is Kipp E. Adcock . The 45-3-02 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

119 North Main StreetMoscow, PA 18444
The phone number for 45-3-02 Magisterial District is: 570-842-2111. The fax number for 45-3-02 Magisterial District is: 570-842-9117.

45-3-03

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-03 is Sean P. McGraw . The 45-3-03 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

38 North Main StreetCarbondale, PA 18407
The phone number for 45-3-03 Magisterial District is: 570-282-3181. The fax number for 45-3-03 Magisterial District is: 570-282-9269.

45-3-04

The Magisterial District Judge for 45-3-04 is Laura M. Turlip . The 45-3-04 Magisterial District courthouse is located at:

Archbald Borough Building400 Church Street, Second FloorArchbald, PA 18403
The phone number for 45-3-04 Magisterial District is: 570-876-0570. The fax number for 45-3-04 Magisterial District is: 570-876-6412.

Where Can a Small Claims Court Case Be Filed?

Courts in Pennsylvania are divided into districts. Each district has an elected Magisterial District Judge. A case should be filed in the Magisterial District where:

• the business is located or where the defendant lives
  • the contract involved was signed or performance was made
  • the accident occurred
  • the goods involved are permanently kept
Once you locate what the appropriate court should be, you should contact the court to determine whether it is the appropriate place to file your claim. The plaintiff should also inquire from the clerk what the filing fee will be. You will pay the filing fee when you file the Complaint with the court. The form "Civil Complaint" need to be completed by the plaintiff. If the plaintiff plans to include information that could be deemed confidential, the plaintiff needs to complete the Confidential Information Form (which is found on the same page).

Types of Cases Handled by a Magisterial District Judge in Lackawanna County

Magisterial District Judges are judges elected by the people of their district to handle criminal preliminary arraignments and preliminary hearings, summary criminal offenses, traffic offenses, municipal code violations, landlord / tenant actions, and civil actions where the damages do not exceed $12,000 (commonly known as small claims court).

Thank you! I guess my next question is this. Even though it's a little over 11 grand can I file for for the $12,000?
I also read sometimes districts courts will seek more than ever the plantiffs ask, especially when it's such a large amount.
After I file& Amazon is served, do you know the chance of them responding and paying?
My fear is this...if i could even hire an attorney, would I pay 10 grand in costs and fees and end up with $1000. ?

Thank you! I guess my next question is this. Even though it's a little over 11 grand can I file for for the $12,000?
You can file for it but you won't win more than your actual loss.

also read sometimes districts courts will seek more than ever the plantiffs ask, especially when it's such a large amount.

Other than court costs (filing and process service fees) and post-judgment interest, that's not true.

After I file& Amazon is served, do you know the chance of them responding and paying?

No clue.

My fear is this...if i could even hire an attorney, would I pay 10 grand in costs and fees and end up with $1000. ?

Entirely possible. With any lawsuit, the outcome is always unpredictable.

It sounds like all your communications with Amazon has been on the phone or text messaging or emails. You should try sending a registered letter to one of the contacts in post #4. Don't get too caught up in everything that happened. Just keep it simple, you shipped me product, I shipped it back, you received it back, and you still have my money, it' has been X days, I want my refund. Attach copies of all relevant documents. Try that before you go through the trouble of small claims court.

A family member who has IDD ( intellectual disabilities) lives with me . He has an Amazon account paid through his funding. There are no credit cards saved on this account. However, I have purchased things for him time to time but never once saved my cards to the account. When I asked Amazon WHY they would allow someone else's credit cards to be used on a person's account different than the credit card, they only said the cards had been used in that account before.... and so.

To which account does the highlighted refer? Your account or your relative's account? I the statement that "the cards [plural?] had been used in that account before" true? Are you saying that, when you previously paid for things for your relative, you used your card on his account (but didn't save the card to the account)?

I've read so many horror stories about Amazon & their business practices and I'm lost as to what do I do next?

I've been buying things from Amazon since the '90s and have had nothing but excellent experiences.

Regardless, the seller is not entitled to keep both the goods and the money. While I don't think you necessarily had a good case for a refund, and while I agree that your credit card issuer properly determined the dispute, if your evidence regarding the return of the goods is as strong as you indicate, I think you'd probably prevail in a lawsuit for the money.

One problem you may encounter, however, is that the most you can sue for in Ohio small claims court is $6k. Therefore, you have the choice between waiving the amount over $6k or suing in regular court where you run the risk of being outmatched by the defendant's attorney.

Even though it's a little over 11 grand can I file for for the $12,000?

What does "the $12,000" mean? If the merch cost $11k, then that's the appropriate amount to sue for.

I also read sometimes districts courts will seek more than ever the plantiffs ask, especially when it's such a large amount.

In the world of everyday people, $11k is a lot. In the world of lawsuits, it's a relative pittance. I don't know what you read, but this simply isn't true. You're not going to get more than you ask for in your complaint (aside from prejudgment interest and court costs).

The chances of responding to a lawsuit? 100%. The chances of paying just because you sued? 0%. The company might pay for other reasons, but I'm confident that Amazon gets sued multiple times every day. One more won't faze it.

A legitimate concern.

It sounds like all your communications with Amazon has been on the phone or text messaging or emails. You should try sending a registered letter to one of the contacts in post #4. Don't get too caught up in everything that happened. Just keep it simple, you shipped me product, I shipped it back, you received it back, and you still have my money, it' has been X days, I want my refund. Attach copies of all relevant documents. Try that before you go through the trouble of small claims court.
Thank you! Yes! I certainly hope I don't have to keep explaining everything to them. They are wanting every single order #, which I don't have because the "supervisor" created one ticket for the return. But I do have everything that was ordered.
I'll start with your suggestion today!

To which account does the highlighted refer? Your account or your relative's account? I the statement that "the cards [plural?] had been used in that account before" true? Are you saying that, when you previously paid for things for your relative, you used your card on his account (but didn't save the card to the account)?

I've been buying things from Amazon since the '90s and have had nothing but excellent experiences.

Regardless, the seller is not entitled to keep both the goods and the money. While I don't think you necessarily had a good case for a refund, and while I agree that your credit card issuer properly determined the dispute, if your evidence regarding the return of the goods is as strong as you indicate, I think you'd probably prevail in a lawsuit for the money.

One problem you may encounter, however, is that the most you can sue for in Ohio small claims court is $6k. Therefore, you have the choice between waiving the amount over $6k or suing in regular court where you run the risk of being outmatched by the defendant's attorney.

What does "the $12,000" mean? If the merch cost $11k, then that's the appropriate amount to sue for.

In the world of everyday people, $11k is a lot. In the world of lawsuits, it's a relative pittance. I don't know what you read, but this simply isn't true. You're not going to get more than you ask for in your complaint (aside from prejudgment interest and court costs).

The chances of responding to a lawsuit? 100%. The chances of paying just because you sued? 0%. The company might pay for other reasons, but I'm confident that Amazon gets sued multiple times every day. One more won't faze it.

A legitimate concern.

A legitimate concern.
The Amazon account belongs to my brother. His name, his emai, paid for using his funds.
The only time a credit card is used is when I purchase something for him.
I have used 2 different credit cards ( same bank) when ordering.
Part of the order went through before my bank froze the card. At that time Amazon found another card I used in the past and was able to charge that one.

How can Amazon get away with these things,? I'm not the first person they've done it to and I won't be the last.

How can Amazon get away with these things,?

Not really sure what "things" you're talking about, but this is a situation of your own creation. It seems that this account is (was?) set up very poorly, and I'm sure whatever was done was authorized by the terms and conditions of Amazon's site. Setting up an Amazon account for a mentally impaired person is a terrible idea. If you're a conservator/guardian for your brother, the account should be in your name, and he shouldn't have access to it.

Regardless, as mentioned before, Amazon should not retain the money and the goods. Your recourse is to sue.

Back