Being Sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

slluag

I receive a notice to move, the date was later change and I made it out by this day. The next day was a holiday, then the weekend. The following Tuesday the landlords went and took out a civil suit for due rent and damages. I had made three offers before moving to sign a payment affidavit upon vacating. I receive no notice of the damages and don't know what they are claiming. I have been told by a former neighbor they had a family member do the estimate, who isn't a licensed contractor, in fact I believe he works in a factory.
My question is, how do I defend myself about these damages when I don't know what they are when I go to court? And will the offer of signing a payment affidavit help my defense with the past rent? I'm not saying I don't owe the rent or won't pay it.
There was no security deposit, but if a landlord can't apply a security deposit for 30 days, should n't I have received a damages list and given 30 days to respond to it. In the summons only says past rent, and damages, it does not contain a list.
I live in a county with a population of less than 68,000 so the Tennessee Landlord/Rental Laws does not apply.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Before the suit you will get served with court papers that you are getting sued, and in those papers it will show exactly what they are claiming. As for the rent, if you don't have any problem paying that, then simply tell the judge that you have no problem with that, and that you had offered to pay. The worst that will happen there is you will have to pay what you were already prepared to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back