breaking lease before approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalover79

My boyfriend and I applied for and placed $200 to hold an apt 2 1/2 months in advance. Upon dropping off income verification, we were told we had to sign the lease in order to hold the apt. It didn't seem right, but I didn't want to lose our apt, so we signed. At this point the apt worker told us we did not make enough and would have a higher security deposit to pay- she could not tell us how much until the application process was through. When we first looked at the apt, we were told that together we had to make 3 times the rent- now, a different woman was telling us we EACH had to make 3 times the rent. If I had known that to begin with, we would've never applied. I asked what would happen if the security deposit went up so much we could not afford it and she said then the lease would be null and void because we weren't fullfilling our end of the deal. After reviewing finances, I'm sure we cannot afford a higher security deposit, and am upset with myself for prematurely signing a lease. My question is, can we legally break it if we are still in the application process, if we cannot afford the security deposit, and we are not scheduled to move in for 2 months still? Also, we did not receive a copy of the lease, we were told we'd get it when we moved in.

If you cannot pay the higher security deposit, there are two options for management....they can lower the security deposit requirement or they can let you out of the lease.

Did the lease include documentation of the initial security deposit amount (many will)? If so, this is what management must abide with; in order to change this amount, ALL (you two and management) must agree to this new amount.

Don't be suprised if they also attempt to keep your $200, citing this was a "holding fee" to take the unit off the market.

Gail

Thank you Gail. No, the deposit amount was not on the lease at all- just the total amount of rent per 13 month lease, broken down to how much per month. I expect them to keep the $200, and that is fine, I'm just worried about being taken to court and being held accountable for the entire 13 month amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back