Breaking lease do to crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

zionmobile

Hello all,

I just recently moved to the Charlotte, NC area from Pensacola, FL to work for Siemens Power. I needed to move quite quickly so I leased a house with a property management company while still in Florida. I did not have time to visit Charlotte first before I leased.

With in 4 days of moving into the house in Charlotte, while I was at work, my back yard was broken into. Unknown persons(s) attempted to steal items from the back yard and used a brick to bust the back yard gate.

A week later, while at work, again unknown person(s) again entered my now unsecured gate and proceeded to attempt entry to the house via the back door. They damaged the wood molding to the door but never was able to enter for whatever reason.

I have also had on 4 occasions unknown person(s) ringing the door bell between 2am-4am and running off.

After the first attempt I contacted the property manager to ask out of the lease because as I found out it is a crime ridden neighborhood. Needles to say the landlord will not let me out of the lease even though I agreed to forgo the deposit, pet deposit, and first months rent. (2400.00)

This is going to be a constant problem as I see it and my Fiancé and I do not feel safe in this environment. I will be traveling for weeks at a time and my Fiancé is fearful for her safety.

I know this is long and drawled out but I need advice ASAP. Do I have enough here to break a lease without being liable for further rent?

Please note I have police reports documenting every incident.

No, living in a crime ridden neighborhood does not in and of itself constitute grounds to break a lease legally.

Why?

The landlord has no control of events going on in the neighborhood.

In this case, your eagerness to lease a home made you fail to conduct due diligence. That isn't your landlord's problem, sir, it is yours.

No, living in a crime ridden neighborhood does not in and of itself constitute grounds to break a lease legally.

Why?

The landlord has no control of events going on in the neighborhood.

In this case, your eagerness to lease a home made you fail to conduct due diligence. That isn't your landlord's problem, sir, it is yours.

So the lease has more weight then the safety of my loved ones in this case. It's just a matter of time before something else happens or worse somebody gets hurt.

Its not that it outweighs yor safety. Its not ground for breach. Your landlord is not responsible for crime in area unless he is the criminal. Its your place to research a place before you sign on dotted line

So the lease has more weight then the safety of my loved ones in this case. It's just a matter of time before something else happens or worse somebody gets hurt.
The crime in your neighborhood has no bearing on the contract (lease) you signed. If you believe otherwise, break your lease.

I'm not the one you need to convince. I'm just an old, retired, country lawyer and judge. I gave you a free legal opinion.

You're free to pay another lawyer for the same advice. Or, you're free to break the lease to your own financial detriment.

If you fear for your safety then you can most certainly move away- you will just have to pay the penalty for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back