breaking sublease agreement in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

outtahere

I am currently in North Carolina and looking to break my sublet agreement with my roommate who is on the lease. Our landlord has failed to make many repairs on the house including installing smoke detectors, taking down a hazardous dead tree, and putting insulation under the house. I would like to move, based on the failures of the landlord as well as issues with my roommate including the fact that they have acquired several animals, which is technically ok on the lease. My lease is technically with my roommate, correct? Can I break the lease with my roommate based on failures of the LL? If i do break the lease, who has the legal right to come after me, the landlord or my roommate?

Last edited:
While most states require smoke detectors be installed in rental units, please provide information on the North Carolina law that requires that a landlord put insulation under the house.

There are steps that a tenant (even someone who is subletting) must take in regarding legally being able to break a lease when a landlord fails to make repairs. These typically include notifying the landlord IN WRITING of needed repairs and allowing them a reasonable amount of time to address these. Have you done this?

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/LandlordTenantHandout.htm

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back