Broke Lease in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommerday

I was moved to CA by my job, and was given a significant raise solely to afford the rent there. 1.5 years later, I lost my job, and was no longer able to pay the rent. I immediately contacted my leasing agent, who told me I could either pay the break-lease fee, or find a sub-letter. I did not have the money to pay the fee, nor did I have any luck finding a sub-letter. I paid the last month of rent that I was living there, then moved out of state at the end of the month. I left the leasing office a letter, explaining my circumstances once again. I have since received a bill for $10,000 and am now getting collection calls. I have not talked to the collections agency, nor does anyone have my new address. They have been sending all correspondence to my parents house (the address on my rent checks). I don't know what to do. I don't have any money, and am no better off now than I was when I lost my job. How do I proceed? I feel my actions were necessary and in good faith. I did not have another choice at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back