Broker fee

A

anirudh316

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Question regarding Broker fee for rented apartment:

I was shown an apartment by a broker who made me sign a "Fee disclosure" form before entering the apartment. The form states that I must pay them a fee if I rent the apartment.

The next day, I saw the same listing online and see that the listing agent has not assigned any fee for it. I go and meet the listing agent who was really confused as to who could have showed me the property, since she did not give out the lock code to anyone (she mentioned it was illegal and as good as breaking and entering by the first broker).

We find out that the listing agent had given the lock code to one of the broker's colleague a while back who was NOT supposed to pass it on to anyone without her permission. However, instead of completely DISMISSING the broker fee (since that broker should NOT have shown me the apartment in the first place), the listing agent negotiated it down a little bit.

I am NOT willing to pay any broker fee now because it was clearly illegal, and the broker had no contact with me since except for sending me a notice for collection of the broker fee.

Can I sue the broker for illegal activity / misleading me into believing they were the listing agent / authorized to show me the place? Should I pay any broker fee?

The best way to fix this situation is to turn your back and run away as far as you can from this den of thieves and scammers.

There are many apartments, start looking for your new home.

Back