Burglary at Rental - Landlord Expects Payment for Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlg18104

I am a student and rent a house near campus. I have renters insurance, and so do my roommates.

The house was burglarized during winter break. The house was completely locked and secured. The front door was kicked in. Each of the 4 bedroom doors which have independent locks were also kicked in.

I filed a claim with my renters insurance and my roommates did as well for our respective personal property.

Now, three-and-a-half months later, we each received a bill from the landlord seeking $175/each for "burglary repairs."

Is this legit in PA? While the lease says we are responsible for interior repairs, isn't the repair of the doors a casualty that is the responsibility of the landlord?

I am a student and rent a house near campus. I have renters insurance, and so do my roommates.

The house was burglarized during winter break. The house was completely locked and secured. The front door was kicked in. Each of the 4 bedroom doors which have independent locks were also kicked in.

I filed a claim with my renters insurance and my roommates did as well for our respective personal property.

Now, three-and-a-half months later, we each received a bill from the landlord seeking $175/each for "burglary repairs."

Is this legit in PA? While the lease says we are responsible for interior repairs, isn't the repair of the doors a casualty that is the responsibility of the landlord?

Read your lease.

Or, report the claim to your insurer and see if they will settle it for you.

You could Google "renter liability in PA" and see what turns up.

Personally, I'd pay him and be done with it.

Or, speak with hi about it and see if you can reach a settlement.

Not so fast!

MLG18104:

Landlord-Tenant Laws are pretty much the same throughout the country save a nuance here and there, but, THE two most important sections affecting such relationships remain absolutely constant regardless of the location since Landlord-Tenant Laws is one of the few subsets that go make up the single most difficult and intricate branch of law in the United States of America; Property Law.

As you may well know, property law deals with the very many ways as well as the nature and qualities by way of which TITLE including rights of possession to real property is obtained, willed, relinquished, transferred, bequeathed, taken by force, etc. And possessor y rights to a property; be it permanent or temporary are transferred by a lease agreement as well as by outright sale or testamentary allocations as in a will giving the possessor the full bevy of rights established under property law. By that token, when a land owner signs a lease agreement for such and thus period of time for so many dollars a month and other written provisions, he is basically transferring rights to possession and ownership of the property to the new tenant, albeit temporary.

So, it is good to remember that you (as well as your room-mates) are therefore and for all intents and purposes the owners of the property for the set period in the lease and do not need to, or have to allow interference from the landlord for matters outside of those termed in the agreement. To that end, the landlord is responsible only for the repairs and maintenance of the property that will keep him from breaching the lease agreement's Implied Warranty of Habitability and the Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment.

Therefore, he will have to foot the bill if for example the wall comes down,or a tree on the property collapses and causes damage, or the unblocking of the main water and sewer line in-and-out of the property. And while these examples put the onus of repair and such squarely on the landlord, the breaking of doors and windows during a burglary DO NOT MAKETH HIS cross to bear; PERIOD! And so it is not his place to come and ask you for money to fix the doors and windows and feel free to tell him to butt out and mind his own business and that you will remedy the situation on your own schedule and dime.

Also, the landlord has no right to enter your property ad hoc and for the heck of it unless for a specific reason and by arrangement made in advance, under supervision.

fredrikklaw.

The damage should have been covered by renters insurance. I'm guessing you simply didn't claim it.
Get an invoice from the landlord accounting for the repair costs and submit it to your insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back