Burst pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad71

I was living in a rental property owned by my ex wife after a house fire the past five months, and and my lease was up on Dec.23, the same day my home repairs were completed and I moved in. I went over to the rental property the following weekend and cleaned the carpet and scrubbed the counter tops etc. because my ex and I have an excellent relationship and I wanted to leave her with a spotless property(she knew I still had the keys and was doing this). It was a relatively warm day, and I turned the heat off so could leave the back door and garage door open as I was dumping water from the carpet cleaner or the mop bucket outside. I basically cleaned and mopped myself out the back door and away from the thermostat, and didn't remember to turn the heat back on. A well and a half later, after a dramatic temperature drop, the water pipes burst.

My questions are- what are my legal responsibilities for this? I know I have a moral responsibility to make this right, and more than anything I am worried about how this will damage or relationship. We share a son and have worked hard to build a strong relationship as divorced parents that I don't want to see ruined. But I am wondering about my legal responsibilities for this. And also if her insurance will cover this, or if a claim would be denied due to some type of negligence. I am sick to my stomach with what has happened, my whole intent in renting this property was so she and her husband could make some extra money. My insurance company was going to rent me a place after the fire, and they had a vacant property.

Thanks for any responses.

You can be shown to have caused the problem by your negligence.
Legally, you've admitted fault.
You're 100% culpable and you could consider filing against your homeowner's or personal liability insurance, if you have same.
Otherwise, discuss a settlement.

You cannot make any argument the heat was not needed at the time you shut it off. OH was cold all month. You are going to be liable for your neglect.

Thanks for your responses. I wasn't sure if the fact that my lease had expired(was no longer her tenant)and I had moved out and received my security deposit,etc. would be relevant, i.e., would a tenant be responsible for this if they shut everything off the day they moved out/lease was terminated and something happens two weeks later, or does the responsibility shift off of them then. I assume that would negate me filing a claim against my home owners insurance, since I was no longer renting/occupying that place, I was out Dec.23, and this occurred Jan.8. I wasn't sure if her insurance would then cover it, even if I'm weren't legally responsible, I intend to make every attempt to take care of the situation were her insurance not to cover it. Hmm, I should be receiving some compensation for the contents of my home that were list in the fire soon, who needs furniture? (Sadly , my intent was to leave the place in great shape, her last renter had left it a mess. I do realise I completely failed on that count. I only bothered to go back because the movers had tracked quite a bit of mud in on the 23rd and I didn't want to leave that. How I wish I had.) Thanks again for your responses. P.s., I know what you must be thinking, no I didn't manage to cause the house fire at my home too...

Thanks for your responses. I wasn't sure if the fact that my lease had expired(was no longer her tenant)and I had moved out and received my security deposit,etc. would be relevant, i.e., would a tenant be responsible for this if they shut everything off the day they moved out/lease was terminated and something happens two weeks later, or does the responsibility shift off of them then. I assume that would negate me filing a claim against my home owners insurance, since I was no longer renting/occupying that place, I was out Dec.23, and this occurred Jan.8.

If your negligence caused it, and the event was in reasonable proximity to the date of the alleged negligence or action(s), it would seem your action(s) was(were) the cause of the damage.

I'd file and let YOUR insurer determine if they believe your actions to be liable and if they will cover you.

You didn't need to eb a tenant, OP, you were on site to make sure the place was pristine.

Due to yoru oversight, negligence, actions, the damage resulted.

I wasn't sure if her insurance would then cover it, even if I'm weren't legally responsible, I intend to make every attempt to take care of the situation were her insurance not to cover it. Hmm, I should be receiving some compensation for the contents of my home that were list in the fire soon, who needs furniture? (Sadly , my intent was to leave the place in great shape, her last renter had left it a mess. I do realise I completely failed on that count. I only bothered to go back because the movers had tracked quite a bit of mud in on the 23rd and I didn't want to leave that. How I wish I had.) Thanks again for your responses. P.s., I know what you must be thinking, no I didn't manage to cause the house fire at my home too...

No one judges, we simply take posts at face value.

Well, when we post, we do.

Why?

Because we are completely neutral and only endeavor to offer information as unbiased observers.

What we think matters not, as everyone's thoughts are secure in their head UNTIL (and UNLESS) they open their pie hole and BLAB.

No oral communication here, OP, simply finger tips and visual words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back