can a landord request a credit app after lease is signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jco4

My landlord and I signed a lease on the 10th of July. On the 25th he informed me that they would no longer be leaving so we could not move in on the 1st of aug. After threatening to sue he agreed to leave. Now on the 26th of July he is requesting a credit application for the 1st time. Can he do this? Will it affect the lease agreement if it comes back and he dosnt approve?

The landlord might be in a jam.
If it were me, I would provide the information for the credit check, but I would not pay for it.
He is likely looking for a reason to deny you, however the lease is already done.
If you end up being denied access to the property then you might have a reasonable suit to bring IF you can show that you have actual damages. If you end up having to live in a hotel while looking for another place, or if you end up having to pay any other kinds of fees for staying where you currently are beyond a certain date, then those costs might be put onto that landlord.

If you aren't in a jam where you absolutely MUST move... you might want to just start looking for another place. This one already has disaster written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back