Can I be evicted for damages to previous apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mississippi1

The apartment complex I live in offered to move us downstairs due to the fact that the downstairs neighbor was complaining about us walking around. The manager came to my apartment and did a walk through. He said I would not have to pay a deposit on the new unit and that all the damages were wear and tear. We lived in that apartment for 5 years. When we moved in the carpet already needed to be replaced. When we moved out there was damage to the kitchen floor but it was caused by a leaking refrigerator that the complex had to replace. I had explained to the manager and he had said that was fine. There was also damage to a lighting fixture but again he said there was not a problem.

Yesterday I got a notice that they are asking me for $2000 in damages. The manager that told us everything was fine has no longer works at the apartment complex.

I am worried that we will be evicted from our current apartment for owing these charges. It would take me a very long time to pay the $2000 off. I live on a fixed income.

What rights and obligations do we have under Mississippi law? Do we have a case since the manager that did the walk through said everything was fine.

It's important to keep in mind that the "end all" to finding damage at the end of the tenancy is not limited to the final walk through with the tenant. Often damage above normal wear and tear is not found until afterwards.

In Mississippi the landlord/management has 45 days after the tenancy has terminated to provide information regarding the status of the security deposit to the former tenant along with information regarding "damages".

The issue that comes up when someone has rented a place as long as you have (5 years) is what is "normal" wear and tear versus damage that would not normally be found if someone lived in a place for that length of time.

What, specifically, were listed as damages? Often carpet is a common issue. It's important to keep in mind that carpets in a rental unit depreciate over five to seven years. If your carpet was, say, two years old when you moved in...and you lived there for five years...this carpet had "exhausted" it's life and you would not owe anything for replacement.

Gail

I just got the notice yesterday. I am going to the office today to see if I can get a list of the damages. I am just assuming the carpet is one of the things they are stating is damaged based on the $ amount they are asking for.

Can they evict me because I owe damages from another unit? Or does my lease for the new unit protect me. Thank you for your response by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back