Can I evict?

Karen Hughes

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I rented a two bedroom apartment & allowed my 17 year old daughter to move in along with her 2 month old baby (my 1st grandchild). She got pregnant at 16 & moved in with her boyfriend & his parents during the pregnancy.

When the baby was about 2 months old my daughter called me crying because her boyfriend apparently had cheated on her. She asked me to come get her & the baby because she was breaking up with him.

I did go pick them up, but I told her that she could not live with my boyfriend & I. First of all she's the laziest person I've ever met, 9th grade drop out, a thief, & compulsive liar (she told people that I threatened to kick her in the stomach to kill the baby. Also told people that her father used to rape her on a weekly basis while I was serving over seas for the Air Force .

So my boyfriend & I told her that we would help her get an apartment, but she would have to find a job & get her GED.

We paid the $800 security deposit, 3 months rent upfront, & agreed to pay for 2 more months (total of 5 months rent). She was to get a job in order to pay for the electricity, water, etc.

However, it's now been 4 months, & she has no job nor has she done anything about the GED.

Then we recently found out that she started dating a 27 yr old man, who by his own admission, is a heroin addict. He also stated he is bipolar, schizophrenic, been in 3 mental institution (1 for 8 months), & is a self admitted cutter. Also, he is not allowed to see his daughter (4 yrs old)unless supervised with his mother present.

I just found out that she has let him move in to the apartment that my boyfriend & I got for her.

She does not take care of my grandchild very well, I've reported a few instances to DSS, but of course they want to turn everything around to make it look like I neglected her since she is 17. However, if it wasn't for my boyfriend & I she would have nothing.

I rented a two bedroom apartment & allowed my 17 year old daughter to move in along with her 2 month old baby (my 1st grandchild). She got pregnant at 16 & moved in with her boyfriend & his parents during the pregnancy.

When the baby was about 2 months old my daughter called me crying because her boyfriend apparently had cheated on her. She asked me to come get her & the baby because she was breaking up with him.

I did go pick them up, but I told her that she could not live with my boyfriend & I. First of all she's the laziest person I've ever met, 9th grade drop out, a thief, & compulsive liar (she told people that I threatened to kick her in the stomach to kill the baby. Also told people that her father used to rape her on a weekly basis while I was serving over seas for the Air Force .

So my boyfriend & I told her that we would help her get an apartment, but she would have to find a job & get her GED.

We paid the $800 security deposit, 3 months rent upfront, & agreed to pay for 2 more months (total of 5 months rent). She was to get a job in order to pay for the electricity, water, etc.

However, it's now been 4 months, & she has no job nor has she done anything about the GED.

Then we recently found out that she started dating a 27 yr old man, who by his own admission, is a heroin addict. He also stated he is bipolar, schizophrenic, been in 3 mental institution (1 for 8 months), & is a self admitted cutter. Also, he is not allowed to see his daughter (4 yrs old)unless supervised with his mother present.

I just found out that she has let him move in to the apartment that my boyfriend & I got for her.

She does not take care of my grandchild very well, I've reported a few instances to DSS, but of course they want to turn everything around to make it look like I neglected her since she is 17. However, if it wasn't for my boyfriend & I she would have nothing.

No, you can't evict her.
The apartment is in her name, you just footed the bill.
Her landlord can evict her.
But, at this point, all you need to do is wait.
When the meter expires, the rent you paid runs out, her landlord will do then, what you can't do today!!!

You might want to report any incidents of child neglect to the child welfare agency in your state, or the police.

The apartment, electricity, & water are all in my name nothing is in hers. Anyway, it just so happens that since I did report her to DSS, the boyfriend failed his drug test. Since I refused to let her live with me & no other family members were willing to take her in either because of her bad history, dss put both my daughter and granddaughter in an orphanage. Now the boyfriend is living there. So I sent him an eviction.

The apartment, electricity, & water are all in my name nothing is in hers. Anyway, it just so happens that since I did report her to DSS, the boyfriend failed his drug test. Since I refused to let her live with me & no other family members were willing to take her in either because of her bad history, dss put both my daughter and granddaughter in an orphanage. Now the boyfriend is living there. So I sent him an eviction.

If the lease is in your name, then you can certainly go to court and seek the court's order to evict the trespasser.

Back