Can I get out of this lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

candycanexgirl

I signed a lease last may to live in an apartment with one of my friends. The landlord never signed this lease, and neither has my roommate to date. The few times my roommate has contacted management about signing the lease they either did not show up to the appointment made, or did not have a lease prepared for her to sign.

At the signing of the lease, our landlord gave us two different payment plans. I pay my half of the rent monthly, and my roommate pays her half of the rent in lump sums in October and February. She lived in the same building prior to my moving in and used this payment plan.

Two months ago, management changed and we now have a new landlord. They have no record of this payment plan or her previous lease.

My roommate has not paid any of her rent yet, and has still not signed the lease. I have paid my half every month right on time.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this situation?
Am I liable for the entire rent because she has not signed her half yet?
Am I even liable for my half because the landlord never signed the lease?

Thanks

In the absence of a written lease (signed by all parties involved), a renter is considered to be a month to month tenant (sometimes known as having a "tenancy at will"). Such tenancies can typically be terminated with a written notice provided as outlined in a particular states laws.

I've attached an easy to read article on terminating such a lease in the state of New Jersey:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/chapterfive/index.cfm

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back