Can I get the property owner to relocate me?

RangerRudy

East Rockaway, NY

I have been renting an apt for 6 years. It is part of a multi-family home. I have my own electrical meter. I never knew of any legal or code problems. I am a senior and disabled. My rent is cheap compared to existing prices. Last Monday, the landlord received a violation letter from the village. The house should be 2 family not 3. My apartment is the illegal one. He defrauded me of almost $60,000. I am too old to be moving. And not well off physically or financially.

Why do you believe the landlord has "defrauded" you of almost $60K? You've been renting below market value for six years and doing fine with all of this. Unfortunately, it's the landlord that got caught (perhaps innocently, perhaps not so innocently) renting a 2 family unit as a 3.

Sounds like you're simply angry that you'll have to go to the trouble of moving and finding a more expensive place to live. Why should the landlord be legally obligated to relocate you? He/she may be facing fines from the city/county for this violation but that's about it.

Gail

East Rockaway, NY

I have been renting an apt for 6 years. It is part of a multi-family home. I have my own electrical meter. I never knew of any legal or code problems. I am a senior and disabled. My rent is cheap compared to existing prices. Last Monday, the landlord received a violation letter from the village. The house should be 2 family not 3. My apartment is the illegal one. He defrauded me of almost $60,000. I am too old to be moving. And not well off physically or financially.

Hello, Rudy:

I see you claim to be a senior citizen, residing currently in Queens, NY.
You also allege to be a victim of an unlawful apartment, or a unit not certified for human habitation, ie...NO RENTAL CERTIFICATE.

Okay, start by reading this PDF:

http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/FactSheets/orafac21.pdf

Okay, let's save all of us some trouble and time.
This NYC agency is where you start: Rent Guidelines Board

For general inquires, call 311. If calling from outside NYC, call 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675).
Media inquiries, call (212) 385-2934.

Mailing address:

51 Chambers Street, Suite 202
New York, NY 10007

You contact that agency and discuss your situation with one of their intake workers.
There are remedies for people in your situation.
The landlord will often get stuck with paying you something, or doing something to assist you.
I'm neither agreeing with the law in NYC, or disagreeing with it.
I am simply informing you where you start to plead your case.

About how much you can attempt to screw your landlord out of based on a contract you made and were fine with until you thought you could screw him good. So much for the innocent disabled senior persona.

Back