Can the Tenant give me (sub-tenant) an early eviction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomelessSouls

A friend and I moved into a house together, she signed the lease, also put her husband's name on the lease (although he already told her he would not move there due to them separating). I was not present to sign the lease and was told by her that the landlord said there was no more room for my name to be on there. Prior to us moving in our initial plans were to move together, I find a job as soon as I can (because I relocated from almost 100 miles away), split the bills together until either I find another place at any given time, or I could stay as long as I wished. Things went sort of great for the first few months, after watching her kids plus my two, taking care of them fully while she worked Monday through Friday coming home around 8:00 every day, and also making sure her kids ate (because sometime she didn't have food and didn't bother to feed them or make due they had food to eat) and this isn't the least of the small issues, but tension built up because I held concerns inside and feelings from her not bout caring and one morning we ended up into an altercation, small more of like a sister fight. She verbally told me that I needed to leave by the end of the month because of it and Of course we didn't talk for a few days but after that she started back conversing and interacting with me. Two months later her kids are note involved in a case and she tells me she needs to clear the house so she won't lose her kids and that I need to be gone by the weekend (keep in mind I have 2 small kids, still no job, and I'm not from around the area and have no family around or near. 3 weeks later I'm still there because I have no where to go and still no job, but now she files for a dispossessory. Is she allowed to do this??

Yes, you can eventually be evicted.
It's never a good idea to be a roommate slave.
You can leave now, or use the time to get new digs.
The mere filing of an eviction has likely ruined your ability to rent decent housing for decades.
This is sad.
You might just want to pack your bags and head back to where your relatives can help you.

If I understand you there was no written agreement at all for you to live there. Your friend is not obligated to house you and your kids forever or at all. Be glad you were allowed to stay as long as you were. It makes no legal difference if she was mother of the year or Mommy Dearest. That has nothing to do with your legal right to housing. If you still aren't working many months later, that could cause a short fuse. Even as far as verbal agreements go, you didn't uphold your end of the bargain by getting a job. I strongly suggest making other living arrangements immediately.

Legally its unlikely (if not impossible) to force you out by time given. However, as stated earlier, you want to avoid having your friend evict you. this blot on your record will follow you for a very long time. Its best you leave soon as possible to avoid this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back