Car being towed by the landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

juannava

HI,
I live in an apartment complex which requires vehicles parked outside to pay for a parking permit to do so. Now, my wife is disabed and was granted a disable plate from the DMV office which allows her to park just a few feet away from the front door in a disable parking slot. Recently, my wife's car was parked outside in a disable parking spot,with the disable tag on the rear view mirror which has current regristration; even after all of this, the apartment landlord/security issued a warning tag which requires us to purchase a parking permit and a extra garage. we have communicated this to the leasing office. Can they tow my vehicle away for being parked in a disable parking spot, with DMV tag for disable, and current registration????

Yes. If the landlord requires tenants to pay for a permit then you still must do so even though you have disabled tags.
The exception would be for a guest, but typically there are designated, or unmarked parking areas for guests.

But yes, they can tow your car.

You shouldn't have to pay for an extra garage though, since you will be utilizing the disabled space for that vehicle. Just talk with them and work something out... but expect to pay for a permit for the vehicle. It is their property and their rules.

Last edited:
F.H.A., A.D.A., and H.U.D.!

Even though it is private land, the complex is still subject to FHA and must provide parking spaces for handicapped tenants at no charge and also by designating certain spaces as disabled-only parking spaces.

Inform the management people of their duties under FHA and ADA and if they still persist, file a complaint with the Housing and Urban Development's Fair Housing Enforcement Center and the United States Department of Justice who will intervene and find those kind-hearted heathens in violation of federal law by discriminating against people with disabilities, which in turn puts them in violation of American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.).

There are also published cases available for further verification of your argument.

fredrikklaw

It sounds as if the reserved disabled spaces already exist. That is not the problem.
Tenants are required to register their vehicles with the landlord and obtain a parking permit for the property, disabled or not. If the vehicle does not have a permit to be on the property then it can still be towed, even if it is in a disabled space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back