Changing the money agreed to move in

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncloud

It took about 3 months to get the paperwork together to move in,
we agreed on just paying the credit check of 40 dollars and the move-in cost of the rest of the month. and our pets because what they were did not require a deposit
We first had to file income taxes before income taxes were due. We had to pay rent imbetween time where we were at each time we had to complete more paperwork. The next set was to check social security and we paid for a credit check. We again had to pay rent where we were at..Then after the credit check. We stated a movin date. We lmoved out of our former place and stayed the last few days in a motel waiting for that day...but when we moved in. they hit us with a deposit. and a double pet deposit where no one else has ever charged us...more than the rent and the animals could not possibly warrant such damages.
They said there special was over but it was too late for us to do anything but pay what they wanted and we signed the lease and moved in....When we moved in the carpet was worn. animal smell and cigarette burned and cut and a lot of deterioration that had not been replaired or replaced.
All and all we like the place...but every time in getting in this place everything they told us changed from every time we went into this place to obtain it with management....we did talk to three people to obtain it at different times....My question is.....Do they have the right to change the game rules all along the way and force us into a change of policy.. They hit us up for 6 to 7 times amount for the move in money....and the pet deposit is totally unreasonable...When we were assured again again there would be none. up to the point of signing the last paper where we had already moved out.

If you had a deal in writing and there was no mention, then they should/cannot demand these extra charges from you. I haven't seen your paperwork and am not familiar with all the facts so I can't say for sure. Unfortunately what you are going through is not uncommon and these people are usually experienced in how to manipulate more money out of prospective tenants by leading them through initial hurdles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back