Charging For New Carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXLeaseQuestion

I recently moved out of a unit. The leasing office is wanting to charge me for replacing of the entirety of the carpet saying that their are cat urine stains and smells.

First off - I am deathly allergic to felines
Second - There was not new carpet upon move in of the unit. I did however note multiple stains on the carpet on the move in addendum damage sheet.

Any advice? Thank you kindly

Tell them not a chance and if they keep your deposit you will sue them. Just because they SAY there are cat urine smells does not mean their are and that you did it. The fact that you are allergic is great proof you didn't.

I sent the apartment complex an email stating I have no cat(s) and that the stains on the carpet was placed into the rental damage addendum.

This is all I got back...

We do not assess carpet damages by performing a simple visual inspection. Stains can be easily removed. There were no major stains to the carpet surface in your apartment, but b/c of a very strong cat urine smell, we had the carpet evaluated. When the carpet contractor pulled the carpet back, there were urine stains on the carpet backing, the pad, and even the concrete.

Any further advice would be of great help.

The only thing I can think of is that I had the windows open for a week, it rained quite a bit but no water got in the unit (high quality screens) so that it could air out and the moisture got into the old urine if there was any there in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back