College daughter rc'd confusing landlord letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaka123

First the email from the landlord. Followed by the background. I've indicated the start and finish to the landlord's email by ******

*****First and foremost I am not releasing to ______ and ______.

I served the letters to the three of you, you came forward. Cut and dry.

I have served several letters to other tenants and legaly I cannot release, that is why I mark the box that ALL Leases do NOT roll over month to month, to protect us. And nobody is releasing because of that.

We can make an appointment for Friday, April 22nd. But the damage deposit will need to be retained until the end of the Lease Agreement...that is the law. I am HR, but then you knew that and I will not engage further with you as I feel you are retaliating, and have worked closely with our HR reps from RHA.

As fully developed adults this should be handled amicably and do not foresee any problems, not from our aspect of it.

Let me know what time this Friday you are available and I will arrange my schedule accordingly.

Sincerely,
______*****

HR would I believe Human Resources
RHA would be Resident Housing Authority for the college. Daughter's apt is not part of a dorm or apartment overseen by the college.

Brief background - Daughter is a junior in college. Rented an apartment last September with a girl that was a friend of a friend. Roommate 1 suggested a third roommate who turned out to be her best friend. Daughter was immediatly the unwanted roommate. Her tea kettle was the wrong color, her couch not pretty and when she was asked to get a shower curtain it was wrong too. She bought two that they all three could decide on unfortantly she picked cancer causing plastic curtains - and should have gotten cotten. As you can see a no win situation from the get-go. In October, daughter had a guest who wanted to smoke since it was stormy outside my daughter told him to go to her room open the window and stick his head outside. Well he had a joint. The next day a letter regarding the drug use was given to all three girls. My daughter went to see the landlord right away, explained the situation and gave her landlord her word it would not happen again. Landlord confimed the roommates had reported it to her and that she admired me daughter for stepping forward. Told my daughter not to worry and even told her she occassionally lights up a joint with the tenets in apt###. Landlord has had multiple complaints from and about Roommate 1 - she doesn't like the smell of the food the apt next door cooks, etc. Now it is time to think about lease renewal. The landlord agreed to rent a two bedroom apartment to the two roommates and spoke with my daughter about having much better nicer roommates next year.selected two to choose from, unfortanatly the deal fell through and the girls want the current apt back and my daughter out. My daughter rc'd an email from landlord that because of the Oct. incident her lease will not be renewed for the next year. My daughter sent a response that she was surprised given the conversations they had and asking about the other roommates and their lease renewal. She ask if they could discuss options to release her early from her lease, given that the hostile living situation has been increasing weekly. True, she can't leave her computer there, food, and roommates getting more personal with verbal attacks. I suspect the landlord has been threatened by Roommate 1. Landlord up until now has always been very kind very friendly. Roommate 1 can easly use some of the things the Landlord has said and done against her, such as when she let a pregnant homeless teen sleep in the apartments basement/laundry area. What do you make of the letter?

I make nothing of the letter, because it isn't a letter.

You said it was an email.

It could be considered useless.

Beyond that, the landlord wants your daughter out.

I suggest she wait until the expiration of the lease, and leave.

If she can't wait, maybe you as one of her parental units, could assist her with temporary lodging expenses (and help with paying her current rent).

II also advise all people (especially young people) NOT to get into room mate situations.

They often end up with hurt feelings, arguments, money disputes, and many other disputed and contentious issues.

Last edited:
The letter is stupid, and I don't think it's author is much brighter.

I agree that she is best to wait until the end of the lease and to be sure to give the landlord 30 days written notice of her intent to vacate at the end of the lease. If your daughter wants to stay she certainly can so long as the rent is being paid. Washington may have some weird law, but the bit about the lease not becoming month to month due to a box checked sounds bogus. When it gets down to it, your daughter does not have to go anywhere until a judge orders her to, and that is quite a ways down the road.
I am not clear what the purpose of the Friday appointment is. When is the end of the lease?

The whole bit about a guest allegedly smoking marijuana in October is not going to get your daughter evicted if she chooses to stay. If she holds her ground the other two roomies just might leave first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back