College Student Sublet and Lease Breaking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptink

Our daughter attended Texas AM last year. At the end of Spring semester we co-signed a lease for her to live off campus fall/spring 2009/2010. We live out of state and while back home with us on summer break she announced she was very unhappy with her major and wanted to attend college closer to home. We have enrolled her at a in-state college so she will not be returning back to Texas to attend this coming year or live in the apartment she rented. My question is when she looked at the apartment they promised her subleting wouldn't be a problem (it is a apartment complex) and they would assist in helping her find a replacement if need be. We contacted them and filled out a resublet request several weeks ago and have been calling weekly hoping it will be rented. The other day I looked at their internet site and it states All Apartments Have Been Rented and to contact their sister site for any rentals. I called them and they said the corporate office does that and they have no control of it but they will continue to try if anyone does call them. Isn't that misleading promising to resublet a apartment and then advertising there are no rentals? Is it lawful? Is there any way to break a year lease considering a 18 year old signed?

At 18 your daughter can be held responsible for a lease. Unfortunately, so can you since you co-signed for this.

Can you contact the corporate office and explain the situation?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back