consequences if personal property is damaged

M

mbarich

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hi- I am looking for some kind of legal document for myself and other tenant to sign. We moved into a residential house together, a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but we are both listed as tenants on our lease. We are just separating for a couple of months, and I am the one moving out. I do not have any space at all at my new place/bedroom, so we both have agreed (verbally) that I can leave most of my personal property here until we decide if we are going to get back together or break up entirely. I am leaving with us not being on good terms and I want a legal document for both of us to sign stating that he is not allowed to destroy/throw away/ or tamper with any of my personal property, and if he does I can absolutely sue him. I have had no luck trying to find such a document like what I am describing.

Why not remove your personal property and place it in storage? Surely, the small cost of that per month would not only be better than trusting an ex-anything with your precious items, but also give you peace of mind.

I want a legal document for both of us to sign stating that he is not allowed to destroy/throw away/ or tamper with any of my personal property, and if he does I can absolutely sue him. I have had no luck trying to find such a document like what I am describing.

Even if you could find such a document, it would be meaningless because it wouldn't prevent him from destroying or disposing of your property nor would you need a document to say you can sue him because you can sue him without benefit of any document. Worse, what the heck makes you think he will sign something like that when there is already some hostility going on.

Why not remove your personal property and place it in storage? Surely, the small cost of that per month would not only be better than trusting an ex-anything with your precious items, but also give you peace of mind.

I agree.

Get your stuff out of there and into storage ASAP or you are guaranteed to lose it all and, guess what, once that happens and you sue you will only be entitled to the depreciated (used) value of the property, yard sale value, 10 cents on the dollar and if you do end up getting a judgment (no guarantee there either) it may end up being uncollectible.

PS: You're moving out under not so good terms. You're delusional if you think there's any getting back together. I guarantee he'll have a new girlfriend within a month.

Hi- I am looking for some kind of legal document for myself and other tenant to sign. We moved into a residential house together, a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but we are both listed as tenants on our lease. We are just separating for a couple of months, and I am the one moving out. I do not have any space at all at my new place/bedroom, so we both have agreed (verbally) that I can leave most of my personal property here until we decide if we are going to get back together or break up entirely. I am leaving with us not being on good terms and I want a legal document for both of us to sign stating that he is not allowed to destroy/throw away/ or tamper with any of my personal property, and if he does I can absolutely sue him. I have had no luck trying to find such a document like what I am describing.

Do yourself a favor, mate, rent a storage unit.
For less than $100, sometimes lower than fifty bucks you can rent a safe, secure, clean environment to protect your stuff.

Back