deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

xydyxete

I was the tenant. I gave my notice to leave within 60 days and my move out date was 12-7-10. I just today received a letter that was sent certified and post marked 1-7-11 informing me they are keeping my 250 deposit and I owe them 141. Because of estimated final water bill 150. (broken meter) and 7 days rent. I beleive it is after the 30 days and I do not owe them anything and in fact they owe me the 250. Is this accurate?

Did you provide your notice to vacate, on or
before 07 October 2010?

my notice was done before Oct 7. Everything was great with my move out. They came over and did a walk thru said all was good.

If the postmark is legitimate (11Jan 11), the landlord met the 30 day requirement.

my move out date was 12-7-10 and the post mark date of the letter was 1-7-11 (they sent me a copy). I thought the time allowed is 30 days, which would have been 1-6-11. In the letter they sent me they state " Regarding the issue if the the deposit, be advised that the Deposit Dispostion was sent, however, it was sent after the required time allotment. While you may request your deposit, be advised that the charegs on the deposit disposition are legitimate." If they are admitting it was late how can they still require me to pay?

Because they know that you'll have to go to court to try and beat them. This takes time and money. And, if you win you don't get money. You get a piece of paper that you try to collect against them.

But, if you feel strongly, this isn't the place to argue. Take them to court and see what a judge has to say.

my move out date was 12-7-10 and the post mark date of the letter was 1-7-11 (they sent me a copy). I thought the time allowed is 30 days, which would have been 1-6-11. In the letter they sent me they state " Regarding the issue if the the deposit, be advised that the Deposit Dispostion was sent, however, it was sent after the required time allotment. While you may request your deposit, be advised that the charegs on the deposit disposition are legitimate." If they are admitting it was late how can they still require me to pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back