Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Detective contacted me about swapped barcodes

prodigy5401

Jurisdiction
Texas
a detective recently reached out to me about swapped barcodes on items i purchased. This occured at multiple stores across multiple jurisdictions. The detective said if loss prevention will drop the case he wont file charges. Is it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?

a detective recently reached out to me about swapped barcodes on items i purchased. This occured at multiple stores across multiple jurisdictions. The detective said if loss prevention will drop the case he wont file charges. Is it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?
There's no way in hell that LP is going to drop the charges. It's people like you who drive up the cost for everyone else.

With that said, you ought to be speaking to an attorney, not an internet forum.

a detective recently reached out to me about swapped barcodes on items i purchased. This occured at multiple stores across multiple jurisdictions.

I'm not sure what "this" refers to, but I'm guessing that what you mean is that the detective believes that you switched UPC labels on products to enable you to buy the products for less than intended. It also sounds to me that you don't deny that you committed these crimes.

Is it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?

No one here could possibly know whether some unknown loss prevention persons employed by multiple unknown stores would agree to this.

I'm not sure what "this" refers to, but I'm guessing that what you mean is that the detective believes that you switched UPC labels on products to enable you to buy the products for less than intended. It also sounds to me that you don't deny that you committed these crimes.

No one here could possibly know whether some unknown loss prevention persons employed by multiple unknown stores would agree to this.
Yes thats what i mean and it is one of the big box stores

@Zigner Even if everything is returned and the difference is paid? The detective gave me the contact info for lp and they know im going to reach out about the matter.
You stole. The "big box stores" are very aggressive about prosecuting folks like you since you (together) cost them a lot of money.

Is it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?

You have a constitutional right to remain silent.
You have a constitutional right to have an attorney to represent you.
If you can't afford a lawyer, one will be appointed by the judge to protect your freedom and your rights.

miranda-warning-1783002434.jpgPoliceOfficerMirandaWarningsTexas-2486824771.jpgthe-miranda-warnings-l-2477058564.jpg

Not doing what this lawyer suggests will make the pain and punishment even harsher.

it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?

Technically LP doesn't make the charging decision, so LP can't drop the charges. It can tell the prosecutor that it's satisfied with the restitution and doesn't want you prosecuted, but ultimately it's the prosecutor's decision. Is it possible that LP will agree to ask the prosecutor to drop it if you pay the store back? Well, in theory anything is possible. But just how likely it is will depend on the particular stores involved, how much of a loss the stores took from your scheme, how often you did it, and how badly LP wants you prosecuted to set an example to other would be thieves of what happens to people who try stealing from them. In my area, if the case against the alleged thief is strong, they want the DA to prosecute and send that message that the stores are tough against people who try to rip them off. Their insurance companies may also push to have the person prosecuted because theft and fraud costs the insurance companies too, and more theft and fraud raises insurance rates for all businesses getting that kind of insurance.

Right now you should get a criminal defense attorney to represent you ASAP and let the lawyer handle this stuff. If you make that offer yourself to the store, you may just end up providing even more evidence against you. Your lawyer will lay out for you what is realistically possible and what options you may have. Don't talk to anyone else about anything related to this case, and keep yourself on the straight and narrow. Committing additional offenses is a good way to harden the attitudes of LP, the DA, and the judge against cutting you any breaks.

The detective said if loss prevention will drop the case he wont file charges. Is it possible to get lp to drop the charges if i return the items and pay the difference for anything not returned?

It isn't wise to discuss anything with the police, UNLESS your attorney is present!

Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 32.47. Fraudulent Destruction, Removal, or Concealment of Writing

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
(a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to defraud or harm another, he destroys, removes, conceals, alters, substitutes, or otherwise impairs the verity, legibility, or availability of a writing, other than a governmental record.
(b) For purposes of this section, "writing" includes:
(1) printing or any other method of recording information;
(2) money, coins, tokens, stamps, seals, credit cards, badges, trademarks;
(3) symbols of value, right, privilege, or identification; and
(4) universal product codes, labels, price tags, or markings on goods.
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, provided that:
(1) the writing is not attached to tangible property to indicate the price for the sale of that property; and
(2) the actor did not engage in the conduct described by Subsection (a) with respect to that writing for the purpose of obtaining the property for a lesser price indicated by a separate writing.
(d) An offense under this section is a state jail felony if the writing:
(1) is a will or codicil of another, whether or not the maker is alive or dead and whether or not it has been admitted to probate; or

(2) is a deed, mortgage, deed of trust, security instrument, security agreement, or other writing for which the law provides public recording or filing, whether or not the writing has been acknowledged.
(e) If at the time of the offense the writing was attached to tangible property to indicate the price for the sale of that property and the actor engaged in the conduct described by Subsection (a) with respect to that writing for the purpose of obtaining the property for a lesser price indicated by a separate writing, an offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is less than $100;
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $100 or more but less than $750;
(3) a Class A misdemeanor if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $750 or more but less than $2,500;
(4) a state jail felony if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $2,500 or more but less than $30,000;
(5) a felony of the third degree if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $30,000 or more but less than $150,000;
(6) a felony of the second degree if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $150,000 or more but less than $300,000; or

(7) a felony of the first degree if the difference between the impaired writing and the lesser price indicated by the other writing is $300,000 or more.

Right now you should get a criminal defense attorney to represent you ASAP and let the lawyer handle this stuff. If you make that offer yourself to the store, you may just end up providing even more evidence against you. Your lawyer will lay out for you what is realistically possible and what options you may have. Don't talk to anyone else about anything related to this case, and keep yourself on the straight and narrow. Committing additional offenses is a good way to harden the attitudes of LP, the DA, and the judge against cutting you any breaks.

I think that ship has sailed.

We're talking multiple stores, in multiple jurisdictions.

In addition to a criminal defense attorney, OP should consider getting therapy. If there is an underlying mental health issue, showing willingness to get help could help OP.

Back