Dirty House With Stinky Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

need2move

I am renting a house and didn't know what I was getting into. First, just to set the scene real quick. I move here from another state so I am not familiar with the housing here. Once I arrived I had one day to get into a house to have my furniture dropped. I mananged to see 3 houses and I took the lesser of the evils. This house has a strong pet odor in the formal dining, and livingroom. During the walk through it was noted that the carpet was not clean. There are other problems that they have yet to fix. I submitted a letter to the rental agency and they sent a reply stating that the carpet had been professionally cleaned by the previous leasers (that is obviously NOT true) and they are not going to clean it. Now, today (which I will have to address with them tomorrow) the cold water, from every faucet smell like rotten eggs, sulfer, something...I know it stinks. I have only been in the house for 1 1/2 months. I am leasing for 1 year can I have them shorten the lease to 6 months inorder for me to find a suitable house to live in...or what can I do. We are having allergy issues and I am tired of changing my socks two and three times a day to walk through the house.

You cant just shorten lease both parties must agree. You accepted house in its current condition. Only issue you might have is water. Depending on how long house has been empty you might just need to run the water for a period of time. Regardless you must give Landlord the chance to fix the problem. The solutons available vary by which state your in

Thanks for the reply. I have been in the house for close to 2 months and haven't had a problem with the water smelling. But, like you said will give them a chance to correct everything on the list....which is a LONG LIST...now the water!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back