Disposess Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj21472

Hello...I arrived home today to find a "Disposess Warning" notice slipped in my door. From what I have researched I have no idea why I am receiving this.
I was recently 1 month behind on my rent, and late this month due to the fact I was not working for 2 1/2 months. I am not behind on any rent as of now, but I haven't paid yet for October which I plan to do at the end of the month. If my landlord were evicting me wouldn't they have sent a letter with an intent to evict? In addition, the notice says I owe $3000, but my rent is only $905.22. I am at a total loss. Is there any other reason why a landlord would issue a warning such as this and not an eviction notice?

It's important to keep in mind that a landlord cannot evict; only a court can grant an actual eviction.

Providing the tenant with a warning (sometimes known as a "Pay or Quit" notice, sometimes some other type of eviction warning) is typically the first step. It gives the tenant a certain amount of time to "cure" the issue. If this is not done, the next step is to file with the court system for an actual eviction.

Attached is a review of different phases of the lease. Highlight the one listed eviction-unlawful detainer.

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/landlord-tenant-rights#eviction-unlawful-detainer

If you haven't yet paid for October and rent is due at the beginning of the month, you are behind in your rent. I am not certain why the landlord says you owe $3,000 when your rent is $905.

Gail

Thank you for that information. I did try and call the leasing office this morning, but as always, it is extremely difficult to get in touch with anyone from that office. And this has been the case for the past 4 years that I have been a tenant. I did write a letter to them this morning that I will send certified mail on my way to work explaining my situation, and asking for some time to bring my account current. It has been a very hard few months financially so I hope they are willing to work with me. I was also planning on going to the HRA unit of Housing Court and inquiring on what further steps I should take to avaiod eviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back