Dispute with former landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleWright

My jurisdiction is: Idaho

This may be long, but I am at the end of my rope with this situation and really don't know where else to turn... My husband and I moved out of our townhome in March of this year after two years. About six months into our lease (a year lease that became month to month after the year was up) the owners sold the townhomes and the new owners contracted out a rental management company. We knew that the townhomes had been sold, but there was never a walk-through done when ownership was transferred. When we decided to move out we gave the property management company 30 days notice and were told that we should contact them to do a final walk-through (which they never showed up for). Now they are saying we owe them almost $3000 in damage to the property and have contacted a collection company. We cleaned the apartment before we moved out and did everything we could to make it like it was when we moved in. The place was never perfect. They are old units and haven't been well maintained. They are charging us for new carpet ($1700 for about 800 square feet) when they advertised our unit with new carpet and flooring before we even moved out. We are being charged for two carpet shampoos, carpet vacuuming, 8 hours of cleaning, and hundreds of dollars in supplies. We talked to the collection company and told them we wanted itemized receipts before we would pay for anything. Two months after that request we were sent handwritten receipts and black and white photos (not dated) that are supposed to show the damage we left. On top of that, we are still being charged for supplies ($124.66) and "exit maintenance issues" ($145) that were never explained. I don't know what to do. We think we should contact an attorney, but I don't want to do that if we are just out of luck with this situation. I just think it is all a little suspicious, especially that they advertised the home with new carpet BEFORE we moved out and then charged us for the new carpet. Does anyone have any advice for us? Thank you for your time!
Nicole

The cost of carpet is prorated, typically over 5 to 7 years. Thus, if the carpet was 5 years old when you moved in and you lived there for 2 years it had outlived its usefulness by the time you moved out.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back