Does an unnotified lease change make a contract void?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgesse09

In May of 2011 I signed a lease to rent a three bedroom apartment with two other people, from August 2011 to May 2012. My lease was to be 3100$ total, 300$ a month plus a 10$ fee to keep a rabbit. When I signed the lease I paid the security depost and first month's rent. In july I found I wasn't moving in. In August I received a lease, photocopied from my original, where the Landlord whited out and hand wrote over the portion that said I owed first month's rent. She wrote I also owed Last month's rent which I hadn't paid. I paid my rent, even though I was not living in the apartment, for August and September. In January she sent me a letter stating that if I paid 1200$ by May 31, 2012 I would be released from owing 2650$. I sent $300 with the intention of paying the rest when I got my income tax. This week I received a letter stating that I had not paid by January 31, 2011 so now I must pay 1800$ by April or 1500$ by March. She explains that I owe more because another tenant wanted to rent, but could not. She also states that I owe 50$ a month because I kept a dog on the property, I never even lived there or told her I would be bring a dog. I want to know if it's legal, since she changed my original lease without notifiying me and if make sense to fight it.

Who knows if it is legal?

That will be for a court to decide, if you take her to court.

Or, if she takes you to court, when you don't pay her.

From what you state, you appear to have ammunition with which to defend against her charges, IF you can prove she changed the lease.

Why not take a shot and tell her you aren't paying another dime?

Then tell her of she wants any more money for you, sue you!

I agree... I would be very cautious about paying anything more. These letters that have been sent to you will help your argument in court if she tries to sue you. It seems you kept your promise to pay even though you were not living there but the landlord actually broke the agreement.
Also, if the landlord has another tenant ready to move in then you can likely break the lease and not owe anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back