Energy Services/Lease before approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngfolks

Hi, I have two things.

First, I took over a lease on December 2nd. When I called my energy provider, they called the property management to confirm I was a tenant. For some reason, the property management told the energy provider I was NOT the tenant and not on the lease. The energy provider then required me to come in person to apply for energy. This was a huge hassle. I was told by another landlord and an attorney that it is illegal for the property management to not provide me with energy. If I had to wait for the energy to be put in my name, then the property management should have put energy services in their own name. This apartment has not been livable for over a week. I simply can't live in the dark and without use of stove/refrigerator.
The on-site manager has been very evasive and unhelpful. In fact, quite rude. He said that because on the lease I agreed to pay for utilities, he can't be held responsible. But the attorney and other landlord confirmed that this "lease law" does not override state/federal law, which do require the landlord to provide energy. One day during this week, the landlord called and said a fuse has been blown. But there is a statue stating the landlord must disclose to the prospective tenant about these things, which he never did. After he supposedly fixed the fuse, there was still no electricity due to the wait for the energy provider, which only arose because of the rental property's mistake as to who was living in the apartment. So who is right? Is it ok for me to be left without energy and unable to live in this apartment? I was also told they cannot RENT the apartment without providing energy. So they've accepted a payment, and I feel I should be reimbursed for the days I was unable to reside on the premise.

Thing two:
I filled out my application and took it to the on-site manager. He had me sign the lease right then and there, which is for Dec 1st. But I was not approved until the next day. Does this make the lease invalid? Was it legal for him to do that?

If anyone can please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

The landlord/management has to provide a SOURCE for you to receive energy (i.e., safe electrical wiring, an electric box/panel). They don't need to provide the actual electricity unless utilities are included in your lease and your rent payment reflects this.

Sounds like your lease makes you responsible for getting your utilities set up. When you were told that you had to come down in person to set up the account, how long did it take you to do this? Once you set up the account, how long it takes to get the electricity turned on is up to the utility company, not management. Management has no control over when the utility company will come out and turn on the power.

It's not unusual that utility companies require some type of documentation (often a copy of the lease or purchase agreement) along with an ID, especially if this is a new account. My water department requires this even though I've had an account with them on my own house for 25 years.

The fact that you signed the lease and it was approved the next day does not make this lease invalid.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back