Evicting ex who never paid rent but refuses to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmm92

I have been living with my girlfriend in an apartment in NYC for 1.5 yrs. I am the only tenant on the lease, but designated her as a room mate. We broke up six months ago and I wanted her to leave ever since. She refuses, saying she has a right to stay since she has been living there for so long (without ever paying rent I am wondering what her rights are, though). I have tried to talk her into moving out on her own, but to no avail. To get things moving, I served her with a 30 days notice (via email to all her active email addresses) to vacate the apartment, that was about two months ago. Whenever I threaten to evict her, she starts messing around, which includes harassing female friends of mine whose phone numbers she copied after stealing my SIM card one day... or may include smashing things in the house, or threatening me verbally. She has nothing to lose because no money and no place to go...

What are my legal options here? One complication might be that there is one additional sub-tenant who is not on record but with whom I have a sub-tenant agreement (which I did not have with my ex, at least not a written one that can be consulted). I did not run the additional sub-tenant by the landlord because the lease conditions require a 10% increase in rent for an additional sub-tenant. So, I am worried that when going official with an eviction or something like that, that I will also be evicted for having an additional "illegal" room mate in the unit.

The lease expires in May 2010, but my ex has already made it clear that she will not leave even if I vacate the unit at any time (not that I want to wait until May 2010 to get rid of her). I have thought of moving out myself before the lease expires, but if she does not want to leave, what is going to happen? Is there any way out of this nightmare?

Last edited:
Nope, I have been afraid of going official because of the issue with the extra room mate. I don't know if I can be evicted for that or fined the 10% increase in rent dating back to when the room mate moved in... Not sure how I would approach the landlord... Since she is not on the lease, would the landlord even be the one to deal with that, or is the landlord-tenant relationship not restricted to me as the signer of the lease?

I guess I am also not certain about her rights, and what the landlord or me can and cannot do in this situation. If I knew that, it would be easier to weigh the options. That is, if there are any other options left or if whoever is responsible will have to start eviction proceedings. Which would be a pain. Would it then be better for me to move out and leave it all behind (i.e. let the landlord deal with it if she indeed does not move out after I am gone), or what? I would hate doing that. I am also thinking about moving out sooner and get another subtenant until the lease expires, but would have the same problem if she does not move...

You're in a bit of a pickle. You can talk to the landlord about this issue because you possibly face an eviction yourself for an additional roommate that you never notified them of.

Have you thought of paying off the girlfriend to find another place to live?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back