Eviction from Apartment after Lease Expires

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklyncharlie

Jurisdiction: Brooklyn

My roommate at I have been sharing my small studio since she moved to New York from our hometown in Nebraska in June. My lease expires at the end of the month and we have been looking for a larger place. The experience has been an absolute nightmare and we recently decided that we would stay in our current building but move to a different apartment. The staff at the property management company office in our building showed us the larger apartment and verbally committed to rent it to us. However now the director of the management company has gotten involved with our application (he lives outside the city) and is making us jump through a ton of hoops (credit check for my roommate, etc.). I am worried that he is going to overrule his staff and refuse to rent us the apartment. If this happens, how long do we have the right to stay in our current apartment after our lease expires while we look for a new place? The lease expires Aug. 31st. Three months ago I received a letter from the management co. requiring that I inform them within 30 days if I intended to renew my lease. I informed them that I would not be renewing. Does this absolve them of their requirement to give me 30 days notice before kicking me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back