eviction from student housing - all possessions disposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobos84

I was attending a graduate program in New York City and received a letter dated May 21, 2010, terminating me from the program. I received this letter on May 24/May25. This letter was sent to my permanent address in Boston (my mother's address). The letter also stated that my lease in their housing was terminated immediately. When I returned to remove my things, the super of the building had informed me that all of my possession had be disposed of on June 15, 2010. When I spoke to the housing department in person on June 28th, they said that they attempted to contact me via my university email, which had been disabled. I never received a letter or a phone call indicating that my things would have been thrown away. Please note that I had just been in contact with the university at the end of May via mail and via my non university email address on June 1. The property disposed of included my jewelry, clothing/shoes, electronics and all furniture. In disposing of my belongings, they found my passport and credit cards, which they mailed back to me in Boston indicating that they did have an alternate address on file. Additionally, rent was paid for the month of June, as it was automatically deducted from my monthly stipend from the university. The value of things disposed is at least 15-20k. I never received a written notice of eviction. I was in the process of finding a new place in Boston and had not been back to the property from the time I had received the letter terminating my lease. My roommate may have received notice on my behalf, but despite having my email, phone number, facebook information, she never informed me that they were looking to evict me or that the housing department was looking for me (In fact, she deleted me from facebook during this time). Additionally, I was unable to examine the property to see if my roommate retained belongings that may have been mine including furniture in our common space because the locks were changed. Do I have a case against the university? Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back