Eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvbnh2008

The tenant (tenant A) that signed a contract agrees to move out of the property on August 15. However, his roommate or tenant B (who's not on the lease), gave me some money to stay till the end of the month. It does not look like he's going to leave on the 31st as he promised.

According to the lease, the tenant has to pay all utilities. Tenant A is going to disconnect the utilities, which are under his name, when he leaves on the 31st because he does not want to pay if he's not staying.

Should I ask the utility companies to leave the services disconnected without transferring to my name until I can find a new tenant? Without the utilities, tenant B may have to leave.

People told me I have to go through an eviction process to evict tenant B, which will take me a month and money.

I truly appreciate your answer to my question. Thanks.

For electricity, the power will be turned off automatically (when the tenant calls in to disconnect) if I don't transfer the account to my name. The power company will notify me 7 days prior to shutting off the power. My question is that should I let them to turn it off?

For water, the service will be on but the water company does not expect any usage until somebody calls to transfer the account.

Thanks

Don't have the utilities switched into your name. You will never get rid of Tenant B because, after all, why should he leave? You're the one paying his utilities.

If you wish Tenant B to become a renter, have him sign a new lease and take care of the utility set up himself.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back